• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Question for a fiberglass master

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I am building a sea hood for my 35-2. The mold is ready and I am planning to use some epoxy resin I have left over from another project as laminate material. The problem/ question comes in doing the gel coat. It seems that gel coat only comes in polestar. I know the epoxy is compatible with cured Polly, and that gel coat will not cure unless covered. Hence the procedure would be to apply the gel coat, allow it to kick, then apply the epoxy and glass lamination. If done all in Polly there is no problem, but is there a problem with switching to epoxy midstream? Since the Polly will not completely cure until laminates cover it and the laminates are epoxy will they bond, or will they react and give me a mess instead of a part? Should I throw caution to the wind, or invest in some Polly resin? Thanks in advance to the guy with the answer! Edd:egrin:

CSMcKillip

Spray mold with pva, apply gelcoat, use 3 to 4 times no pva to build up layers of gelcoat to gain thickness, last coat apply pva and let it kick. Wash inside of mold when gelcoat kicks then start epoxy layup schedule. I have read not to mix materials but west systems state you can use epoxy and polyester resin.

I think you will be fine