• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Changing halogen bulb mast light/new stereo

Joe A.

I sent my 13 year old up to see how we (he) can replace a burnt out halogen bulb. Together we were unsuccessful figuring out how to make it a "quick fix". It looks like the whole assembly needs to come off the mast. Yes? No? Advise?

Also, the wife and kids bought me an early father day/birthday gift; a sony built-in stereo:). What a fun project that will be:confused:. I have a ton of questions but for starters I need to know the deck thickness to safely install mounting screws approximately near the underside of the starboard halyard winch. Next problem, where to put flush-mount cabin speakers. For these, I'll probably build wood boxes because I don't want to cut holes but am open to suggestions. Not being one to reinvent the wheel, I'm seeking advise.

All I really wanted was a boom box.

Joe
1987 E26-2
'Half Fast'

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I sent my 13 year old up to see how we (he) can replace a burnt out halogen bulb. Together we were unsuccessful figuring out how to make it a "quick fix". It looks like the whole assembly needs to come off the mast. Yes? No? Advise?

Is this the down-pointing foredeck light? Ericson used to instal a Forespar fitting, IIRC. Some years ago I replaced it with an Aquasignal. It has the exposed push-in halogen bulb, and I did have to go up in a bosuns' chair last year to re-bulb it.

Can you ID the brand and model of yours?
Is it like this one:
http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2009/Sailboat/sailing_mastLights2009.shtml

Thanks,
LB

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
On the stereo question

I too have an E26 and have the Sony stereo mounted in the approximate location you mentioned.

When I bought the boat there was a Loran mounted in a bracket in the position the stereo is now in. As you can see in the picture, I reused the bracket and mounted the stereo in a West Marine enclosure. The bracket itself has been screwed through the headliner into a piece of wood that was epoxied to the underside of the cabintop. There is about an of inch of space between the underside of the cabintop and the headliner, so there is plenty of space to put the wood. The nice thing about the upper mounting position is that you can run all the speaker & power wires very easily through the headliner to either side of the boat. I also put the automobile type antenna in the headliner after removing the base. I used box type speakers on either side of the cabin, mounted on the bulkheads. I also mounted cockpit speakers in the old inspection ports on the transom.

I think you'll be happier in the end with the Sony stereo over a boom box, although it is a bit more work to put it all together.

Pat

Attachments

• Radio Mount.jpg
    Radio Mount.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 171

ChrisS

Member III
As far as the stereo goes, I went through this same process. I don't like the bulky look of that holder from WM--looks like something out of Waterworld or The Abyss--and so I went to a car stereo store that had a simple $20 holder just big enough to hold the stereo. I ended up mounting it inside a cabinet, but that was my preference.

Joe A.

replacing halogen bulb

Is this the down-pointing foredeck light? Ericson used to instal a Forespar fitting, IIRC. Some years ago I replaced it with an Aquasignal. It has the exposed push-in halogen bulb, and I did have to go up in a bosuns' chair last year to re-bulb it.

Can you ID the brand and model of yours?
Is it like this one:
http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2009/Sailboat/sailing_mastLights2009.shtml

Thanks,
LB

Loren, yes it is the foredeck light (sorry). It is in a black assembly that wraps to the sides of the mast and attached by two screws. It also contains the running light just above it which works fine. My boy indicated there was also two small screws on the front but as it was getting dark I abandoned the effort for the time being. I was hoping he could get to the bulb so I could run to the store. The next time I send him up I want to know what to look for. I have a pretty extensive owner's binder but nothing containing this info. Whether it is the fitting you described, I don't know. It looks like an older version than those on your link. It very probably is and if so, would still appreciate you or anyone else who knows the 'rebulb' steps. I'm sure they are relatively easy but 'the trip up' is most of the work. I think I'll take a picture.

This reminds me of the time I drove into PA to retrieve a cell phone I left on a previous boat. It only took ten minutes to row out to the boat and back but 3 hrs of driving!

Thanks, Joe

Glyn Judson

Other foredeck combo light.

Joe, The key word in your text was that it was attached to the mast by two screws. Could it be an Aqua Signal series #25 combo light like this http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/ASL/ASL254047.html If so you can probably find it and the bulbs at your local West Marine or local chandler. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull 355, Marina del Rey, cA