• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-39B Pictures 1

Mike Tinder

Member II
I have never used a computer very much, but I am going to start. I am posting some pictures of my E-39B that I bought 4 years ago. I have had lots of pictures taken but never got into posting things. That is going to change. She sat in Baltimore, Maryland for many, many years next to the Dominos Sugar Factory and she was extremely dirty. Even the mast was turning black. More photos to follow.

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 94

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 2

Here are some pictures of how bad things looked inside. You will see some pictures of what I have done in some of the other post.

Attachments

• Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 78

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 3

The cabin top was in bad shape where the exterior handrails were mounted, it leaked real bad. But I knew or found all water damage while surveying the boat. These are just a couple of pictures to show what I put in before I reglassed the overhead. Cost was only a couple of thousand to make all the repairs and it is better than new. It turned out wonderful. But the rotted balsa is why I got the boat for so cheap. Cost was $17,000 for the boat, I have put in 100% new water system (except tank), 100% new sewage system including tank, had to take apart v-berth to put in new tank. New engine, cooling, exhaust, instrument panel, new electrical panel, all new 12v wire and lights, 115 is next, new cushions, new dikinson heater, made a bow roller, new windlass, all new chain rode, new counter tops, made the L-Shape settee 6 inches wider, installed fule tank access plates, and a ton of other things have been done

Attachments

• Picture 113.jpg
    Picture 113.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 127.jpg
    Picture 127.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 253.jpg
    Picture 253.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 95

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 4

This is the overhead being insulated with 1/2" closed cell foam and wood being attached for the new overhead panels. The sheetmetal metal project I had made for $200 and it is the the hood vent. The ducting goes up to a wood box the has a 12v blower inside and it exhaust out the old 4 inch hole that was cut for the original 1970 knot meter. There is one of those flush deck watertight mushroom vents mounted outside over the old knot meter hole, just open it and turn on the galley exhaust vent on, Have to say it is one of the best things I could have ever done. It is absolutely amazing what a difference, you can actually boil a pot of water without steaming up the whole galley and it is great a getting rid of odors. I knew of nothing else I could install in such a big cutout, so we came up with this idea. The best $200 I have spent in a long time.

Attachments

• boat ovhd pictures 001.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 82
  • boat ovhd pictures 002.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 78
  • boat ovhd pictures 003.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 003.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 85
  • boat ovhd pictures 005.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 005.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 81
  • boat ovhd pictures 007.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 007.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 110

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 5

More of the galley vent. Picture of the heater, new counter tops, and a spice rack that is where the electrical panel use to be. Also it is not finished yet, but I did tear out the galley from the counter up and making to cupboards, still have to make the doors and drawers for the galley, but stoped on the galley for now because we want to finish the overhead. We are tired of looking at an ugly overhead of insulation.

Attachments

• boat ovhd pictures 008.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 008.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 91
  • boat ovhd pictures 010.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 010.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 93
  • boat ovhd pictures 015.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 015.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 101
  • boat ovhd pictures 019.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 019.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 87
  • boat ovhd pictures 029.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 029.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 88

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 6

Couple of pictures of the bow roller I made. We got real tired of the standard curtain rod system, so we made our own, they are out of Phillipine Mahagony like the rest of the boat. The wood around the portholes was super stained, not rotted except for a couple of small spots. Did not want the wood look anymore, so I glued formica to it just like we did all the ceiling panels. We wanted ANYTHING but your typical bright white fiberglass look, so the wife picked out the color on the formica and it is called champane, strange name cause it does not look like champane, to me it is just a cool looking off white color.

Attachments

• boat ovhd pictures 045.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 045.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 87
  • boat ovhd pictures 047.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 047.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 102
  • boat ovhd pictures 053.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 053.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 93
  • boat ovhd pictures 056.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 056.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 87
  • boat ovhd pictures 057.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 057.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 87

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 7

Some pictures of the overhead coming together. Also I took the interior hand rails off the overhead and mounted them under the deck/port holes. Mounted 1" thick mahagony to the underside of the deck and then screwed the handrails to that. Turned out super strong, I can hang off them, and they are such an easy reach now for anyperson but a small kid.

Attachments

• boat ovhd pictures 057.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 057.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 82
  • boat ovhd pictures 101.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 101.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 74
  • boat ovhd pictures 110.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 110.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 70
  • boat ovhd pictures 111.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 111.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 74
  • boat ovhd pictures 112.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 112.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 73

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 8

Moved my electrical panel back to the nav station, still more moulding to put up under port hole, and the galley hood vent is starting to get finished off. Grease filter is missing.

Attachments

• boat ovhd pictures 115.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 115.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 72
  • boat ovhd pictures 116.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 116.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 80
  • boat ovhd pictures 118.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 118.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 70
  • boat ovhd pictures 119.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 119.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 72
  • boat ovhd pictures 122.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 122.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 78

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Pictures 9

Before and after of boat cushions, We did these cushion about 4 years ago, just after we moved aboard. This is also the settee that I made six 6 wider, man what a difference in comfort. We have a much smaller table now, it will seat 4. Laptop is stored inside and it is the admirals catch all, I stay out of it. But smaller table sure makes getting in and out easy. We had an E-32 before the E-39 that we lived aboard and our first boat was a Cal-25. One of the major things that we looked for in our search for our third boat was a L-Shaped settee. We wanted more room in the cabin for getting around and in the 40 foot range some of the boats get way too cramped with the big U-Shaped settee. My wife was the one that found the E-39B and we absolutely fell in love with her. Stowage space in incredible, tanks and engine low and center line, keel steeped mast, she can see out all the port holes and loves the one in the aft cabin that looks out at the cockpit. The other thing we love is the two heads, one forward with the shower, one aft does not have shower. But we liveaboard and have guest and I could never go with one head again. Toilets are hooked up to fresh water flush and I hard piped the discharge, so no odor. Only thing I have ever done to the toilet is replace the joker valve once for each discharge side of the toilet. You have to go fresh. Anyway we really love our home, we have been pier side more than we want too, but that is about to change real soon with the overhead almost done and the galley set up better for sea. We have alot to look forward too as we cruise Puget Sound.

Attachments

• boat ovhd pictures 013.jpg
    boat ovhd pictures 013.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 68

kari

Member III
Great job! You've got an awesome boat. And a great price...beautiful work with the "sweat equity"...I'm jealous it would be the perfect live aboard for ME AND MY WIFE! Mike Lambert (KARI)

carroll

Member II
Interior hand rails

Mike'
how did you attach the 1" strip of mahogany to the underside of the deck which you screwed the hand rails to?

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Answers

Underneith the deck is plywood that was glued by the manufacture. This plywood is what kept the original vinyl overhead a 1/2" away from the actual underside of the deck, for wire runs and it gave them something to staple the vinyl too. This is what I mounted the 1" thick mahagony too for the hand rails. I used two part putty the length of the board, this ensures that it has zero wiggle to it, fills the tinyest gaps, and I think is was 1 1/4" stainless steel screws that I used to screw into the mahagony that went thru the plywood and thru the interior fiberglass of the overhead, then I plugged the screw holes. Next I cut my handrails to an angle that I liked and screwed them to the 1" thick mahagony. I did not put handrail above our table or above the galley counter, just the stbd settee and the port pantry area, I have 11 other single hand rails thru the interior to grap onto.

I glued the formica directly to the plywood around the port holes, it is not a perfect fit on the top or bottom (close but not perfect), but I did not care. First, the overhead panels hide the top seem and moulding hides all the other seems. Yes you can tell there is a seem when the two panels join, but you could also seen the old plywood seem, it looks perfectly natural to see a seem that has been properly put together. I used my router to route the formica around the port holes. It took two people to put the formica up. I did dry runs with the piece I cut and was getting ready to put up. Have to do the dry runs, then put up the glue and go for it.

carroll

Member II
Interior hand rails

Thank you mike. I do not have the plywood only a hard headliner. I will have to figure another way to attach the hand rails. I have a 1"space between the headliner and the deck. (1973 e27)

Sven

Seglare
Thanks for posting those !

Hi Mike,

It's great to see what you have done with your E39B. Fortunately we lucked out and found Senta II in very nice shape to start with, but we're still upgrading as fast as the money can go out :)

-Sven

Nova

1983 30+, Kemah, TX
Insulation question

What did you use to adhere the closed cell foam to the FRP? I am redoing my E 30+ interior and temps are already in the high 90's here. The underside of the deck will cook your hand when touched. Would like to insulate it.:egrin:

Mike Tinder

Member II
Insulation Answer

Nova, I used a one gallon cans of Contact Cement. I rolled it on and used a brush where needed, Put it on both the FRP and the insulation. It worked like a charm. Good luck and wear a respirator and turn off all electrical, propane, anything that will make a spark.

thedingo

Cheechako

:clap::clap:Great work & good pictures. Great to see the old Cheechako lives on! Looks better than new. Hope you get to sail her a lot and long distances. Almost 20 years of liveaboards and still above the surface. GaryP

mmackof

Member II
Counter tops

Mike,
Fine work restoring the boat.
I'm working on my 39.
What, may I ask, did you use for the surface material on the new counter tops?

Mort:egrin: