• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Design Question

Pat L

I am considering purchase of a 1972 Ericson 32. It is in good shape...but here's my question/concern. The mast is stepped and there is a small crack beneath that is visible in the cabin. It doesn't appear to be a big deal. What really concerns me is the fact that the chain plates are anchored in the plywood of the bulkheads. There is nothing that attaches them to the hull and it seems a little flimsy. I know a lot of these boats were made, but it seems like a design flaw to me. I'd appreciate comments and feedback in the next few days...thanks. Pat in RI

PS: Thanks for the responses to date, I am most grateful. We are planning to have the boat surveyed, I was just interested in people's experience of this design and any problems. Thanks!

Last edited:
Pat,

I have a 1973 Ericson 27, but my mast is deck-stepped like the one you are looking at. It has been my experience that when there are cracks around the base of a deck-stepped mast, the compression post has compressed slightly. This is not a good thing, but it can be fixed with a shim (or spacer) under the post. On the other hand, a good marine surveyor could look at this and tell you for sure what the problem is.

On the other matter, my chain plates were glassed into the hull. It did not, however, prevent one of them (port side upper) from cracking horizontally. When it cracked clear through and came loose, the mast sagged off to starboard. New mast. Chain plates need to be inspected annually. I had not done that. Again, a surveyor could assess this area of concern for you and give you a professional opinion.

Using professional help strikes me as very good sense. You are going to bet your life on the seaworthiness of any boat you put to sea in. So, if you don't have the answer, find someone who does. As far as opinions expressed here are concerned, including mine, the advice you get for nothing is usually worth what you pay for it. Put another way, how much credence can you put on the advice of someone who has not personally assessed the problem before giving you advice on how to fix it or deal with it?

Best of luck,

Morgan Stinemetz

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Shroud Loads and "Chain" Plates...

As to the way of attaching the shrouds -- it's not considered a flaw.
:rolleyes:
If your look around at shroud attachments in many other boats, you will note that the shroud loads are carried down into the hull structure many quite different ways. All are equally valid, if engineered properly.

I have seen the loads tied to the deck, to the cabin sides and of course to external visible "chain plates" down the sides of the hull. Many many different boat designs take the load through the deck to a bulkhead, which in turn is glassed to the deck and hull. The only caveat is that you cannot allow any leaks where the SS plate goes through the deck... if you do, the water will rot the bulkhead and that plate bolts will eventually pull loose. Plates can be made of SS or aluminum, also.

Later model Ericsons (and Olsons) have the loads transfered down through the deck via large diameter SS rods to "herkin big" FRP moldings that are in turn heavily glassed to the hull. All those owners worry about is whether the balsa coring gets wet right where the SS brackets are fastened together above and below the deck. (We checked both sides on our '88 boat while the mast was off last year and all was dry as the day it was built.)

After a couple of decades of sailing and the prior owner being too lazy to rebed key deck fittings... like the place where the chain plates penetrate the deck, water could maybe have gotten in and rotted the wood. This is another reason to get a good survey before purchase is finalized. If you search this site, you will find much good information about fixing this problem on older Ericsons.

Good luck on your purchase,

Loren
:cool:

Jim Baldwin

Member II
check it out

The Ericson 32 unlike an E27, has an offset post under the mast. If you go below and take a good look you will notice that the post is not directly under the mast. (This is the post that the door is hinged from.) This can be the source of a serious problem because the mast can begin to compress the deck and interior liner. Over the years, over-tightened standing rigging can create cracks and serious deformation in the deck and liner. I believe, the deck itself has a built-in structural beam but, its no match for ten 1/4" steel cables all strung piano-wire tight.

A few gelcoat surface cracks on the deck is normal under the mast and probably not serious but if you have interior cracks as well in the headliner, then you have a problem. Look for visible signs of compression or deformation in the curve of the headliner.

I worked a full week to find a solution and correct this problem. This E32 was on it's last days because it couldn't be sold or chartered until it was fixed.

SingPilot

Designed in!

I have a 1970 E32, hull # 134. My compression post has been modified exactly as described in the Ericson drawings elsewhere on this site. It is a very common mod to the deck-stepped Ericsons. It is basically a crossmember spreading the mast compression load across the doorway into the head.

The chainplates, if kept dry (pay attention to the deck plate covers) will last forever bedded in the ply bulkheads. There have been cases of replacement bulkheads being required, but those were because the most basic maintenence / inspections were neglected, and water seeped into the ply around the chainplates.

A professional sailing surveyor will check both of these conditions as part of a pre-purchase survey.

Good Luck, the E32 is a lot of boat for the dollar, I have had mine for 5 years now.

Michael Krebs

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I have not seen the fix you are referring to which spreads the load accross as you describe, but when I was at the factory, this very coomon problem of deck compression and cracking due to the offset support post was rectified by fitting a "sister" to the existing post, so that there was then support under the entire area where the mast is stepped.

If this what you had in mind, my apologies.

Enjoy!

Seth

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Ceiling fix for E32

I don't know what other folks have done but I can describe what I had to go through in order to fix this problem.

First I had to completely loosen all the standing rigging. Then I had to jack up the whole ceiling and deck using a bottle jack, 4x4 and various pieces of plywood. The ceiling and deck had been compressed down and deformed about an inch and a half. There was also some serious cracks in the headliner.

Back at the shop, I fabricated a larger Mahogany door post and a curved beam or header to span across the top of the door and against the ceiling. I had to cut the vertical door trim on the starboard side so that it would fit under the new header.

I forgot to mention that I had to off-set the jack so that I could install the new post and beam. I also had to trim and re-hang the door and adjust the strike plates and hardware.

The whole thing turned into a major project but it did correct a major structural problem. Some slight, permanent deformation in the ceiling is still visible but the deck is back now where it is supposed to be and fully supported.

I'll be honest with you... this job was difficult (and I am a proffessional woodworker). I really do hope your problem is just a few cosmetic cracks...