• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5432 information

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I learned a bit about Universal 5432 engines during my recent re-power project and figured I'd write down what I know so maybe someone else won't have to chase their tail like I did.....

Universal 5432 are based on a Kubota engine, specifically the V1501 model. Actually, Universal just bolted on an exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, raw water pump, engine mounts and a transmission, spray painted it all GOLD and sold it.

Kubota V-series engines apparently share the same engine block. The V1301/2, V1501/2, V1701/2, V1901/2 are all the same except for cylinder bore. The gasket kits are the same, except for the headgasket obviously. So if you need a new engine a rebuilt V series short or long block will bolt right in where a 5432 or M40 was. The difference between the V1501 and V1502, and the other 1/2 models is the timing cover, waterpump, and some other things like the oil filter mount, etc. But the block is the same so you could swap your old parts onto a new block.

The serial number for these 4 cylinder Kubotas is stamped right next to the injection pump on the machined face of the IP mounting boss surface. Universal does a great job of covering this up with paint so that you really have to scrape to find it. Gee I wonder if they knew that that was the key to cheap parts? The serial number is the KEY to getting what you need from a Kubota source.

For some reason there are two different V1501's. The early model has a one piece oil pan and the later a two piece pan. The two piece pan, which I have, needs an extra gasket which is NOT in the standard Kubota gasket set. I just ordered the Universal gasket to save time, its wasn't cheap.

Part numbers:

Kubota upper gasket kit #07916-24245
Kubota lower gasket kit #07916-29605
Universal marine transmission damper for Hurth HB100 #U298454
Universal lower oil pan gasket for 5432/V1501 #U299560

I have two Kubota shop manuals in my possession and they cover both the V1501 and V1502 respectively. An interesting discrepancy I found is in the cylinder head fastener torque specs. The manual for the V1501 called for 65.1 to 68.7 ft-lbs. The V1502 actually has the spec broken out by serial number, 57.8 to 61.5 ft-lbs and 68.7 to 72.3 ft-lbs respectively. Lastly, the Universal manual has yet another spec, 54 to 58 ft-lbs! I went with the Kubota specs for the V1501. I have no idea why there would be so many different specs for what is essentially the same head and block. Only Kubota can say.....

The local Kubota dealers were not really able to help me if I did not have a Kubota part number. They wanted a "tractor" model to be able to pull parts. I ended up ordering from two different places. SouthEast Power Products in Florida was most helpful. They knew everything about my engine without hesitation. The only issue was they were not supposed to sell to me as I was out of their "region". This is funny as the "local" Kubota distributor in NJ referred me to them! I got them to COD to me. Will posting this get them in trouble? I hope not but I'm trying to help sailors so there it is. The second place I delt with is an operation called Country Sales and Service. They could get everything I needed but it took a little longer. I ended up with two complete gasket sets, one for a 1501 and one for a 1502. Two complete gasket sets with shop manuals was still HALF was Westerbeke wanted for just the full gasket set!

The V1501/2 is no longer made and not readily available in an off the shelf remanufactured form. The V1701/2 is however. It is slightly more powerful and will accept all the parts from the 5432/V1501/2. They sell for @$2900 which is MUCH cheaper than you will find for any "marine" reman.

I also got some parts and a transmission rebuilt at Hansen Marine in Marblehead, MA. As expected, marine parts are priced like they are made of solid gold, however Hansen is a very knowledgeable supplier and they stock lots of parts. Good to deal with. There is another local rebuilder, Foley Engines in MA irritated the crap out of me. I considered rebuilding my old engine and asked them for a ballpark quote. They told me that they couldn't possibly give me ANY idea on cost, just ship them the engine and they would give me a quote. Horseapples. I'm not an idiot, I've been working on engines since I could turn a wrench and I know its a simple thing to add up the cost of all possible machine work and parts, add the labor and there's the quote. If you are such an experienced rebuilder then you damned well know what the average cost of a rebuild is. Don't play that game with me.

I was extremely pleased with the overall quality of the Kubota engine. It is a true heavy duty industrial engine. The machine work was top notch, the internal parts were massive for the output. It was simple to work on too. They even went to the trouble to paint the INSIDE of the engine block, though I've done this on some racing engines its something I've never seen in production automotive engines. You can't go wrong with a Kubota based marine engine.

Hope this helps someone. I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of this information, confirm it before spending your money!

RT

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
5432/V1701 swap

The V1501/2 is no longer made and not readily available in an off the shelf remanufactured form. The V1701/2 is however. It is slightly more powerful and will accept all the parts from the 5432/V1501/2.

RT

Great write up Rob. Thanks.

Are you saying that the V1701/2 as a short block accepts all accessories from the 5432 including the heads?

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Great write up Rob. Thanks.

Are you saying that the V1701/2 as a short block accepts all accessories from the 5432 including the heads?

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL

Yes, that is what I have been told. The block is the same the timing cover and oil filter mount will be different between the 1 and 2 versions, but the block is supposed to be the same. The only difference is the bore and so also the cylinder head gasket. If it was my choice I would purchase a complete longblock and swap the timing cover and oil filter mount. As always, this info was relayed to me, I have no way of verifying it. SouthEast Power Products knew all this and was good to talk to on the phone. 954-979-5899, ask for Thomas, he was very knowledgeable.

RT

hsu94583

Universal 5432 Oil pan drain plug

Hi rwthomas1,

Most informative rewrite up that you posted re 5432 engines. I have a small problem to consult with you. Hope you can provide some help.

I had replaced the original oil pan drain plug with one that has a flexible drain line due to the awkward location of the drain plug- very difficult to reach. Lately I discovered that this drain line is leaking oil. So, my first idea is to put the original plug back. Too bad. The original plug is no where to be found.

From your experience, should I get a new flexible drain line with a matching plug, or should I put the original plug back. If you recommend the second alternate, where can I buy a replacement plug that match this oil pan. I need to get the parts ready, otherwise, the messy oil change will take me all day.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Hsu94583

phorvati

Re-power

Hi Rob,
Great writeup!
I am about to purchase a used atomic diesel 5432 for a re-power.
So I was looking at part prices and could not believe my eyes!!!!!
Then I saw this post and it made my day!
Im replacing atomic 4 w/ reduction gear in my C&C 38, Sundowner. Im in Providence.
I could not agree more on the assessment of Foley engines and Hansen marine.
Couple of questions I had.
Did you keep the shaft and what size shaft do you have? What size prop do you have?
How fast can you cruise? and whats the RPM?
I have a 16-9 3 blade RH which by the looks of it Im gona have to ditch as the 5432 is LH prop right?
Did you convert to 4 mounts or you still have three?
I have to go with 4 mounts and seems that oil filter is in the way of the location of Starboard forward mounting bracket. Also all 4 of my mounts would need to be on the same level plane, and by the looks of it, aft ones would be higher then foreword mount(s). undecided as to what to do?

Are you using a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch pulley system?
Im keeping my high output alternator so I need all new pulleys with 1/2inch grove.
I also need a double pulley on the crankshaft. How hard is to find those?

Thanks a bunch
Petar
S.V. Sundowner
C&C38 Mk2

Ericsean

Member III
Foley

Dr. Diesel tryed to get me as well! I had sent my hurth tranny up there for a rebuild. When I called, he said it was trashed, and I'd need a new one. All the pricing he had given me doubled!

Found a new one in Washington for less than he said the original rebuild price was.

Told him to ship me back the old one, when I opened it up, the only thing wrong was a $12 input shaft bearing which had blown up! If I lived anywhere near that quack I'd punch him right in the nose!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hi Rob,
Great writeup!
I am about to purchase a used atomic diesel 5432 for a re-power.
So I was looking at part prices and could not believe my eyes!!!!!
Then I saw this post and it made my day!
Im replacing atomic 4 w/ reduction gear in my C&C 38, Sundowner. Im in Providence.
I could not agree more on the assessment of Foley engines and Hansen marine.
Couple of questions I had.
Did you keep the shaft and what size shaft do you have? What size prop do you have?
How fast can you cruise? and whats the RPM?
I have a 16-9 3 blade RH which by the looks of it Im gona have to ditch as the 5432 is LH prop right?
Did you convert to 4 mounts or you still have three?
I have to go with 4 mounts and seems that oil filter is in the way of the location of Starboard forward mounting bracket. Also all 4 of my mounts would need to be on the same level plane, and by the looks of it, aft ones would be higher then foreword mount(s). undecided as to what to do?

Are you using a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch pulley system?
Im keeping my high output alternator so I need all new pulleys with 1/2inch grove.
I also need a double pulley on the crankshaft. How hard is to find those?

Thanks a bunch
Petar
S.V. Sundowner
C&C38 Mk2

Hello Petar,
-Since I was replacing the 5432 with a 5432 the shaft stayed the same, original 1inch.
-The prop was changed from a two blade to a three blade feathering Variprofile from Variprop. I cannot remember what the pitch was on the 2 blade. I had a tach discrepancy that I figured out late in the season. Tach was reading low so cruise speeds were not satisfactory. Now I can hit governor at 2800 easily and get 6.5kts in smooth water. I think I need more pitch in the prop though. Still not entirely happy with the cruise speed. Running at 2240rpm, that should be 80% of max, I see 5.7-6kts in light chop. I was expecting more and I don't think the engine is loaded enough yet. More pitch and test it.
-I still have the original three point mount, since I was just swapping "in kind" identical engines. I do know that the 5432 was also called the M40 and that was available with a four point mount so you should be able to find it. Beyond that, I can't help much in the way of fabricating engine beds, etc. Each installation is custom, and you having a C&C, which I am not at all familiar with doesn't help either!
-I have a custom serpentine belt setup on my engine so that will not help you. I posted on this mod, if you search you will see what I mean. I do know a machine shop that could likely make you a two groove pulley if you need it. The guy that made my serpentine pulleys may also be able to do it but he is in AZ....
Sorry I can't offer more than that. Good luck with the repower. I like the 5432, its a good engine, and maintained will go a long time.

ChinaClipper

Rear Main Oil Seal Kubota V1501/ Universal 5432

I learned a bit about Universal 5432 engines during my recent re-power project and figured I'd write down what I know so maybe someone else won't have to chase their tail like I did.....

Universal 5432 are based on a Kubota engine, specifically the V1501 model. Actually, Universal just bolted on an exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, raw water pump, engine mounts and a transmission, spray painted it all GOLD and sold it.

Kubota V-series engines apparently share the same engine block. The V1301/2, V1501/2, V1701/2, V1901/2 are all the same except for cylinder bore. The gasket kits are the same, except for the headgasket obviously. So if you need a new engine a rebuilt V series short or long block will bolt right in where a 5432 or M40 was. The difference between the V1501 and V1502, and the other 1/2 models is the timing cover, waterpump, and some other things like the oil filter mount, etc. But the block is the same so you could swap your old parts onto a new block.

The serial number for these 4 cylinder Kubotas is stamped right next to the injection pump on the machined face of the IP mounting boss surface. Universal does a great job of covering this up with paint so that you really have to scrape to find it. Gee I wonder if they knew that that was the key to cheap parts? The serial number is the KEY to getting what you need from a Kubota source.

For some reason there are two different V1501's. The early model has a one piece oil pan and the later a two piece pan. The two piece pan, which I have, needs an extra gasket which is NOT in the standard Kubota gasket set. I just ordered the Universal gasket to save time, its wasn't cheap.

Part numbers:

Kubota upper gasket kit #07916-24245
Kubota lower gasket kit #07916-29605
Universal marine transmission damper for Hurth HB100 #U298454
Universal lower oil pan gasket for 5432/V1501 #U299560

I have two Kubota shop manuals in my possession and they cover both the V1501 and V1502 respectively. An interesting discrepancy I found is in the cylinder head fastener torque specs. The manual for the V1501 called for 65.1 to 68.7 ft-lbs. The V1502 actually has the spec broken out by serial number, 57.8 to 61.5 ft-lbs and 68.7 to 72.3 ft-lbs respectively. Lastly, the Universal manual has yet another spec, 54 to 58 ft-lbs! I went with the Kubota specs for the V1501. I have no idea why there would be so many different specs for what is essentially the same head and block. Only Kubota can say.....

The local Kubota dealers were not really able to help me if I did not have a Kubota part number. They wanted a "tractor" model to be able to pull parts. I ended up ordering from two different places. SouthEast Power Products in Florida was most helpful. They knew everything about my engine without hesitation. The only issue was they were not supposed to sell to me as I was out of their "region". This is funny as the "local" Kubota distributor in NJ referred me to them! I got them to COD to me. Will posting this get them in trouble? I hope not but I'm trying to help sailors so there it is. The second place I delt with is an operation called Country Sales and Service. They could get everything I needed but it took a little longer. I ended up with two complete gasket sets, one for a 1501 and one for a 1502. Two complete gasket sets with shop manuals was still HALF was Westerbeke wanted for just the full gasket set!

The V1501/2 is no longer made and not readily available in an off the shelf remanufactured form. The V1701/2 is however. It is slightly more powerful and will accept all the parts from the 5432/V1501/2. They sell for @$2900 which is MUCH cheaper than you will find for any "marine" reman.

I also got some parts and a transmission rebuilt at Hansen Marine in Marblehead, MA. As expected, marine parts are priced like they are made of solid gold, however Hansen is a very knowledgeable supplier and they stock lots of parts. Good to deal with. There is another local rebuilder, Foley Engines in MA irritated the crap out of me. I considered rebuilding my old engine and asked them for a ballpark quote. They told me that they couldn't possibly give me ANY idea on cost, just ship them the engine and they would give me a quote. Horseapples. I'm not an idiot, I've been working on engines since I could turn a wrench and I know its a simple thing to add up the cost of all possible machine work and parts, add the labor and there's the quote. If you are such an experienced rebuilder then you damned well know what the average cost of a rebuild is. Don't play that game with me.

I was extremely pleased with the overall quality of the Kubota engine. It is a true heavy duty industrial engine. The machine work was top notch, the internal parts were massive for the output. It was simple to work on too. They even went to the trouble to paint the INSIDE of the engine block, though I've done this on some racing engines its something I've never seen in production automotive engines. You can't go wrong with a Kubota based marine engine.

Hope this helps someone. I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of this information, confirm it before spending your money!

RT

Can you give me detailed instructions on how to replace the rear main oil seal on this engine? I removed the rea main oil seal retainer and need to walk the new rear main oil seal on, but once on how far down the cam do you push the seal I have the spring side facing the engine? Amy help from an OEM repair manual would be helful. I have no repair manual. You may be able to help