• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lew, just read your book ... thanks

Sven

Seglare
Hi Lew,

I took it away from Nancy and have been reading it in bits and pieces ... it was time well spent. You are right that mosaic describes it as it really is a set of ordered tiles.

As you might guess, I wish you'd spent more time on Sun Flower, how you built her and how she ended up where she did.

Maybe you should expand one chapter at a time and submit them to literary magazines or other publications that would like your literary painting of moods and description of short vignettes.

I think you should be very happy with it. I sure enjoyed getting to know you through it.

-Sven

Lew Decker

Member III
Thanks, Sven. I'm always happy to hear that people have actually read Fingerprints. There have been quite a few who have not responded. From a writer's standpoint, that's probably worse than a "it stinks" critique.

Just between you and me - :egrin: - The most rewarding comments I've received have had to do with the writing. Just the other night I had a visit from a long-time friend and his wife who were passing through town. She had just finished Fingerprints and loved it, but beyond that, she was emphatic about something else. "You are a writer," she said.

I can't tell you how much that meant to me to hear it. I think, in the end, maybe that will be enough encouragement for me to continue.

As for the Sun Flower saga, I sort of painted myself in a corner. I got discouraged with Fingerprints and quit fiddling with it for a number of years. During that time I wrote a novel based on a sailing trip through the Caribbean. Toward the end, I wrote a very accurate and graphic account of hitting that reef. I've pared the novel from 680 pages down to 415 but the wreck sequence is still a big part of the book. I couldn't exactly repeat the story in Fingerprints so I left it "offstage".

Anyway, thanks again for your nice comments, and thanks for taking the time to get through my book. I'm proud of it, but it isn't likely to set any sales records.:rolleyes: - Take care, my friend.

Sven

Seglare
And now this to share:

"Congratulations. FINGERPRINTS...A Coffeehouse Reader has been named by the judges as a finalist in the memoir category of the San Diego Book and Writing Awards..."

Congratulations indeed.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks!

Hi Lew,
I have been reading it several chapters at a time. Finished up while spending the night on our boat after watching the fire works from our YC moorage. (There is a good display less than a mile away, so we do not have to venture out where all the inebriated power boaters are running amok.)

I like your writing and would like to see some more.
You paint scenes and emotions better than the average bear, as Yogi used to say on TV.

You have also lived (and been thoughtfully aware of) enough life events and adventures to comprise several of my dull existances! :cool:

In my opinion you are indeed a Writer.

While I have no idea why or how, the feeling I get is sorta kinda like the view of distant places and emotions I felt from my first reading, many decades ago, of Racundra's First Cruise, by Ransome. And, no, I do not know why it seems like that, but it just sort of does...

Anyhow, thanks again for a good read.

Loren
:egrin:

Last edited:

Lew Decker

Member III
Loren - I just got around to resetting my password here. It only took a few months. I wanted to thank you for the kind remarks regarding FINGERPRINTS, even though so much time has gone by.

I haven't had a lot of success with the book. I'm worthless at self promotion and that isn't likely to change:)...I did have one authors reading at a local cafe that went very well, but after that I slipped right back into oblivion.

I'm still partial to Ericsons, though. I'd sure like to own another but as they say south of here, no tengo dinero.

Thanks again, my friend.

Lew Decker

Member III
Thanks for the nod, Loren. ALLIGATOR FOOD hasn't had much exposure - my fault - so it is sort of languishing on Amazon. I've sold maybe 30 copies so far. Not a very auspicious beginning, I'd say. I've been given a few reviews, though. Those that like it tend to love it. Those that are not so enthusiastic have remained silent. To be honest, it isn't a page-turner. Readers who like plot twists and breathless moments at the end of each page will have a hard time getting through the book. It is a literary novel in that there is a lot of quiet imagery, a lot of sexual tension, and a lot of sailing.

If you buy a copy and manage to read it, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I hope I didn't waste my time by writing it. Thanks again, Loren. You are a good friend.