• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any other active Great Lakes Eriscon owners?

Ken Haneline

Member II
30+ on Lake Erie

We sail a 1980 30+ on Lake Erie, out of Lorain, Ohio. I really appreciate the Tri-Axial Grid especially when the shallow Lake Erie decides to kick up fast. Using the standard advice: reef early and often! Bud, has anyone rigged a 30+ with a masthead halyard for the spinnaker? Curious if it would work and be safe in doing so. Thanks, Ken

escapade

Inactive Member
masthead kite

Ken;
I believe the rig is strong enough to handle a masthead spinnaker, but Seth will be the most knowledgeable person on that subject. I'm not sure, but would probably change your PHRF rating & you would have to do some serious thinking to determine if you can overcome the handicap. Does raise some interesting thoughts, though.
BTW, our old E30+ now sails out of Cleveland in Lake Erie. She was named Escapade, also. I believe the new owners kept the name. She has a burgundy shear stripe & the cream colored hull. That boat was a ball to sail. Real nice couple bought her and at last report were having lot's of fun with her, also.
If interested, I know a few tricks to make them sail fast. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Ken Haneline

Member II
Masthead Kite

Bud: I will keep a look out for your old 30+. We do some sailing to Cleveland every summer. If you are passing through northern Ohio next summer, we would love to have you out for a day. We could use some tips on going faster. Seth is setting me up with a new genny. Maybe next year a new main. Bottom was redone last year and looks good. Beyond that, the skipper needs some instruction. Thanks, Ken

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Masthead kite

Thanks Ken! Yes-the rig should have no trouble support a masthed halyard and spinnaker-but it will affect the rating, and frankly, while it will make the boat faster in the lighter air, it really does not need it.

Roger Ware

Member III
New Ericson 38 200 on Lake Ontario

Hi - just wanted to take credit for a new "Great Lakes Ericson". I purchased an E38 200, currently located on the Hudson River, NY. When the ice and snow clears out I will be bringing it up to Kingston, ON. Are there any other E38s on Lake Ontario? They are certainly not common in these parts! I do know of an E39 that summers in Kingston - are they on this site?

I would be delighted to hear from the underrepresented band of "Lake Ontario Ericsons".

Can't wait till summer.

Roger Ware, Kingston, ON.

mika

great to be in touch

Hello everyone I am from the great shallow pond to the south "Lake Erie". We sail at the western end and dock at Anchor Point, not to far from the islands. I have an E-25 and love it, its great with the swing keel for the shallow water. Anyone else on Lake Erie?