• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any other active Great Lakes Eriscon owners?

Westy

I have a newlly purchased 32-2 1974 model out of Barker's Island in Superior WI. I am going to rename her the Wlm Thorn, b 1732, an ancestor of mine who was one of the first great lakes pilots. Maybe it will bring me luck.

There is another Ericson 32-2 on the hard in the yard which is being worked on. Don't feel free to give his information without his permission.

Both of us should be actively cruising next summer.

Dale

CaptainBrad

Congratulations on the new boat! I'm sure you won't regret it!

We're down in South Haven on the western shore of Lake Michigan. I've seen a number of other Ericsons around here, but I guess they haven't found this fantastic resource yet. Unfortunately the season is winding to a close and we haven't been out nearly as much as we would like to've. I guess that's the curse of Great Lakes sailing.

Good luck with the new boat! And welcome to the greatest community of Ericson owners on the net!

-Brad

escapade

Inactive Member
Brad;
You'll probably get a little better response during the winter when all of us GL sailors are watching the snow build up. Nothing better to do than dream & fool around on the computer. We sail an E34 out of Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron) and plan a trip to the North Channel after the Bayview Mac Race next summer. Quite a few Ericsons around Lake St. Clair & Muskegon area. That's where the dealers were located. Our boat came from Georgia by way of Florida. She it getting used to the cold, though! Don't give up & sail fast. Bud E34 "Escapade"

CaptainBrad

Hi Bud, thanks for the reply! You're probably right....everybodies out sailing right now.

How's that E34 treat you as a racing platform? I used to race on my family's Tartan 37, and did one Mac race on a different Tartan 37. What a blast! Have you done the North Channel before? Beauftiful area!!! If you're not already a member, you may consider joining the Great Lakes Cruising Club, as they publish a series of "logbooks" that are invaluable tools for finding and getting into some of the neatest wilderness anchorages in the Great Lakes. We've cruised those waters extensively over the course of many many summers.

-BRad

escapade

Inactive Member
Brad;
Had a good time racing the E34 this year. That is after we added 3 1/2 feet to the mast. The rig had been shortened at the factory to clear a bridge in Florida. Some people have no respect! Added height made a world of difference in the sailing of the boat.
Been to the North Channel 8 or 9 times now, kinda lose count after while. Really enjoy the gunk-holing and doing a little fishing & just messing around. Have been in GLCC several years. THe Cruising Guide is worth the cost!. The book "Well Favoured Passage" is also an excellent resource if you can find one. (Out of print for 10 yrs. now)
well, gona go check on the boat now as the 40kn gales yesterday lowered the Saginaw Bay water level to 2 feet below datum! Probably was on the bottom in our slip as our club is dredged to 8.5 ft. below datum & Escapade needs 5.5 ft. of water to float. BTW, first boat was an E27, followed by an E30+.
Bud

Joe Benedict

Member II
Great lakes Ericson Owner

Purchased a 77/78 Ericson 29 in September. It is currently on the hard in Crowley's Yard Yard in Chicago. If all goes well it will end up in the spring at North Point Marina in Winthrop Harbor.

rijorg

Hi,
Ericson 25+ owner here. Located in Petoskey Michigan. Looking forward to reading and writing here in this forum

Gary G

Member II
New owner of a beautifully cared for 1983 E28+. My first sailboat! We purchased in July and enjoyed a short season on Lake Michigan day sailing out of Waukegan Harbor. My family and I are just learning to sail and look forward to some longer distance cruising on the lake next summer. There are several Ericson owners (some real Ericson zealots!) in the harbor. Our biggest surprise being new owners by far is how many nice, helpful, fun, kind sailors there are out there.

sokolb

Long time sailor and new owner of a 1978 Ericson E31. We're moored at Monroe harbor in Chicago, winter storage is at Larsen's in Waukegan.

We have a lot of work to do before summer, but we'll see you all on the water this summer ;)

Brian

Last edited:

Robert Trenn

Ericson on Great Lakes

Brad, et al, we have a '68 Ericson 30 and had moored several years at Moroe Harbor, in Chicago. Our location was on a can in the South end, which becomes a bit rough from time to time. The view and nearby city life, can't be beat, however!
Last season, home port was Waukegan, where we enjoyed having a slip for the first time, and great facilities to clean up after a day on the water or night aboard.
Judging from the other responses, ours might be one of the oldest Ericsons around here. Would love to hear from others out there!
Best wishes to you Brad, and all other Ericson owners!

Mindscape

Member III
New Ericson 32-3 owner

Hey everyone - I've just purchased a 1985 32-3 that will be moored at Southport Marina in Kenosha, WI. Still have lots to learn about these boats!! I will be in the water at the start of the 2004 season.

I'm looking at servicing the winches - anyone that has any info on how to dismantle the Barient 10, 18, and 24 winches - I can use the help. It wasn't obvoius how to get the winches apart, I think the 10's and 24's don't have an obvious way to remove the body.

Joe Benedict

Member II
Barient Winches

Welcome! I assume the manuals posted under Specs and Documents don't shed any light on the problem. I did a Google search and came up with a manual for the 24 on http://www.alohaowners.com under "Manuals." Good luck - I have my name in to sail out of North Point Mariner this coming season. right now the boat is at Crowleys Yacht Yard in Chicago.

Mindscape

Member III
Thanks for responding. I'm out of Southport Marine in Kenosha. I've got friends down at Northpoint so I'll be down that way once and awhile.

On the winches - I got a good response in the Maitenance section of this board (I think you could search on my profile name) and was pointed to a site that has the tech drawings for most Barient winches. I think I'm going to be in good shape. Have to get back up to the boat and check out the winches again.

Bobg

Member I
New Owner

Hi, We are the proud owner of a Ericson 29 located in Bayfield WI am fairly new to sailing and will probably have a lot of questions Thanks All Bob Gatz

JDK_MN

Just purchased a 30+ that will be at Barkers Island, Superior, WI.
New name will be Impetuous - formerly Two Shoes.

Looking forward to next spring. Relatively new to sailing.

JK

Mike T

Member I
Congradulations

Hi JK, Congradulations on your Ericson 30+, I just purchased a 30-2, But I know your boat very well. I use to race against it at the Sheboygan Yacht Club. A very competitive boat in the club races. The owners last name was Shoemaker, thus the boat name "Two Shoes". I know our boats are similar, yet very different, in many ways. The 30-2 having an outboard rudder, keel stepped mast, and the 30+ being a fractional rig, w/longer boom and deck stepped mast, that I believe was moved forward on the deck.
I am very curious as to how these changes affected the sailing performance between these two models. Any other 30-2 or 30+ owners out there that can comment on this?

Michael Tock
1978 Ericson 30-2

escapade

Inactive Member
Ericson 30+

I owned a 30+ (1980) for 8 years. Both cruised & raced on Lake Huron. Boat was very competive, pointed very well (fractional rig & 6' draft), was fast on a reach. Slowest point of sail was down wind cause spinnaker was not masthead rigged. I'm not sure how it would sail against a 30-2, but my guess would be it would be faster to weather, but off the wind would be a toss-up. Really loved the way the boat sailed. Only reason we sold her was to buy an E34 (1988). Contact me if you have any more questions on the 30+. I did a lot of work on mine & picked up a few tricks.
Have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Those 30's

The 30+ evolved from the 30-2 in that the same hull mold was used, but the rudder is smaller and inboard, the rig is obviously fractional, and the interior is changed. One of the biggest differences is that the 30+ used the Tri-Axial Force Grid load bearing structure-making it arguably stiffer (in terms of hull flexing). It is a little heavier than the 30-2 also.

All things being equal between them, the 30-2 should be faster on all points of sail (lighter, bigger rudder, masthead rig), except possibly upwind in light air.

But, they are both great boats!

History lesson over!