• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Uh oh - marina damaged the boat

tdskip

Member II
So the folks at Dana Point Marina moved our 25+ last week to do some dock repairs and they didn't tie her up properly. Not the end of the world but it did chew through the paint and I'm worried that in addition to needing to be repaired could result in gel coat being damaged etc..

Any thoughts or ideas here? How should it be properly repaired to make sure she stays strong? OK to use her on the open ocean before being repaired? Thanks for humoring the newbie questions!

boatdamage1.jpg

boatdamage2.jpg

boatdamage.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The marina will likely just have a local repair person come down and touch up and buff the gel coat or do a touch up to the paint (whichever it is).
Cosmetic stuff like this is irksome, but almost never structural.

Keep in contact with the marina mgmt so that your repair does not get forgotten.
:rolleyes:

LB

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
For my own peace of mind I would examine the inside bow area with a flashlight to look for cracks - but that really looks nothing more than cosmetic.

Document it with some photos (which you already have - duh!), send them a firm letter expecting them to make it right, and go sailing.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Have them cover the damage with a nice stainless bow guard or paint it.

That part of my E29 is about an inch thick so I would only think the damage to be scratches.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
the light blue will almost disappear with a bit of rubbing compound, that will only leave the small white space that will probably be at least as noticeable if repainted even if it is matched perfectly it will have a different shine and a different fade rate. You may be as well off to get some cash or rent credit and spend $20 at worst marine for a close matching can of touch up paint, polish and wax! Edd

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Its the fault of the marina and they should pay for it. I would get an estimate from a contractor I trust and have the marina pay for it. Having the marina do the repair is courting a cheapie job unless you really trust them. RT