• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WD-40 Non-Skid Stain & a Transmission Question

reflections

Member I
We had a leak of WD-40 on the deck of our Ericson. Any suggestions as to how we can remove the stain from the leak?

Also, put a new Universal 23 engine and transmission in our boat. After 175 hours, we had problems with the transmission slipping. Had to replace the transmission. Has anyone else out there experienced similar problems?

Kathy
Reflections

Emerald

On the WD-40, start gentle and work up. Try some Simple Green or even mechanic's hand cleaner. If that doesn't work, I'd be tempted to try a little rubbing compound on it. I would avoid acetone until a last resort. There are several different brands of "deck" waxes that will provide some protection without being slippery and it would probably be a good idea to apply one of these after scouring the surface. Sure-step from Aurora is one such product.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The desirability of Forward and Reverse

As to the trans, there must be something in the air... :mad:
Couple of months ago a friend of ours was putting his rebuilt Jason 35 back in the water with a new Betamarine diesel/trans. It had been tested before launch and was fine. After being set afloat in the slings he reversed to slowly back out and something went wrong inside the transmission leaving him with reverse and no forward. No amount of adjustment would fix it...
A phone call to the US distributor back in the SE produced no "instant fix" advice either. I helped another friend tow him a mile to his slip. It was not the celebration for his newly-LP'd boat that he had fantasized!

The US Betamarine folks were very apologetic and instantly sent out a new trans. and paid for a mechanic to swap it in pronto.
All was and is well.

The shop that put in the engine has done quite a few Beta's and never before had any problem.
At least Betamarine stands behind their product.

I hope that Universal treated you right, also.

Sometimes, stuff just happens...

Cheers,
Loren

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I had to replace my trans also, but it was older. Not a fun job, but the boat has to be able to motivate (other than under sail, of course).

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Check the cable linkage and make sure it is shifting the tranny properly. If it is not engaging fully it may slip.

I had to replace the Hurth 50 on my 35-3 on the delivery trip home. Not too bad with the right tools. And it happened in Marblehead, MA where Hansen Marine sells Hurth trannys. Coincidence? AFAIK it was hte original 20yr old tranny. The new one has worked flawlessly since(2006).

See my link below for a description of the replacement.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We had to replace our Hurth transmission last year after it began to slip. It would be fine for a while, and then unexpectedly slip while in forward gear, with a real grinding noise.

We have a 5416 16 hp engine in our 1984 E30+ with about 800 hours on it--that seemed too few hours to require a new transmission, in my opinion. We replaced it with a Twin Disc transmission which has been fine so far, and was a good fit for the space we had.

The mechanic who replaced the transmission said that Hurth transmissions are not well-made, he would not rebuild it, and said he had replaced many of them.

Frank

lbertran

Member III
Hurth 50

Our Hurth 50 failed after only 500 hours. It was replaced when PO repowered with a new Universal M25. I was told by several sources that the Hurth 50 isn't beefy enough for that motor so we replaced it with the next larger transmission. That new transmission failed immediately after replacement, and I mean immediately. We couldn't leave the marina where the work was done. The mechanics called the Hurth distributor and they all crowded into our boat and pronounced the new transmission defective. They provided a replacement which is working fine after 120 hours. Not much of a confidence builder but so far so good.