• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fresh Water Leak E-38

erobitaille

Member II
WE had a very cold einter this year in Annapolis. Even though the boat was winterized by the yard I apprently have a split water line from the front bow tank. Has any one replaced the water lines and does any one have a diagram of the water system?

Emerald

If you have copper pipes like I do, you will probably be best to just use a standard pipe cutter to remove the split section and replace it with reinforced flexible hosing.

CSMcKillip

WE had a very cold einter this year in Annapolis. Even though the boat was winterized by the yard I apprently have a split water line from the front bow tank. Has any one replaced the water lines and does any one have a diagram of the water system?

I love the name and avatar, love the stuff....

Glyn Judson

Repairing split copper pipe.

Dear friend, Consider using Pex flexible tubing and Cash-Acme Sharkbite fittings http://www.sharkbite.com/ Note in the linked video showing how simply you can slip the end of your copper to the PEX and back to copper again with another fitting. I've that combination in the same situation in my my 1969 Airstream Caravel from a split copper pipe. It's easy, simple and fast. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The Sharkbite stuff is great but there is http://www.johnguest.com/ as well they offer basically the same product in plastic. A buddy of mine used their stuff and was happy, cheap too. Whatever you do stay away from the so called "marine" plumbing systems from Whale, etc. Five times more money for basically the same product as Shark and Guest. Another benefit of PEX tubing is its very tolerant of freezing. Not that you wouldn't winterize but it will survive most freezing events. They love the stuff for the 3 season beach cottages and poorly insulated old buildings here in RI...... RT

Glyn Judson

Plastic vs. bronze

Rob and all, Well you know where this is going, if given the choice between the good looking John guest fittings and Sharkbite, I'll go for the latter every time. Although not ever having used the Guest design, I have used plastic compression fittings on PEX that necessitated wrench tightening and found them to be on the difficult side of installing in tight spaces and always leaving me with the concern that the'd fail. I might add here that I never had one fail but heard third-hand stories of failure, but then who knows how accurate those stories are? If it's a matter of expensive or cheap when buying these fittings, hey we're talking $5.00 or less per bronze fitting and even on land, that's not a big investment in a plumbing repair not to mention the marine cost multiplier as soon as one steps aboard to fix anything. Folks can keep their plastic fittings and pocket change difference to buy a cup of Starbucks. The bottom line for me would be Sharkbite every day and twice on Sunday. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA