• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

boom on E23 separating near aft end

SMLROD

Member II
The boom on my E23 seems to separate and release the foot of the sail at the aft end of the boom. Does anyone know how this can be corrected without buying another boom.:confused: Any help would be helpful.

bayhoss

Member III
I reconstructed the boom on my 28. I may be of some help. Can you post photos of the end of your boom and the tail piece?

Best,
Frank

bayhoss

Member III
The end cap of the boom is there to prevent the sail from exiting the boom. That seems to be in place and attached as it should be. Your outhaul should attach to the small opening that is on the end cap. With the sail attached at both ends of the foot, you should be in good shape. How are you attaching the clew of the sail?

Best,
Frank

Last edited:

SMLROD

Member II
I have been tying the clew to the tail of the boom but am going to make an outhaul with a block, pulley and cleat.
That's not the problem. The problem is the foot of the old sail pulls out of the slot, when sailing, because the boom opens, which can't be seen in the pics.
The PO inserted a piece of wood inside the boom and then screwed into the wood from the outside of the boom to hold it together. (See pics of rusty screws on the outside of the boom). Not a good plan as the wood cracked down the length. How can I keep the boom from pulling apart? Run bolts through the boom ? Any ideas? Thanks

bayhoss

Member III
Running bolts thru the boom would keep it from opening. But, the fact that it will open shows that there are problems like metal fatigue elsewhere. The boom shouldn't open. There is a tremendous amount of force on the rigging of a boat under sail. Having a spar snap in half and fly around still attached to the sail can have serious consequence. I would give consideration to a new boom.:scared:

Best,
Frank

bayhoss

Member III
I do know of a boat that is about to be scrapped due to sinking. I'll be down that way tomorrow. I can check on it if you like. Before you spend your money on a boom - are you certain that there is no issue with the foot of the sail?

Best,
Frank

SMLROD

Member II
I thought that at first because it is an old sail. But I can see the track expand . Without much effort I can separate the track in which the foot of the sail fits and I can see the gap get bigger where the metal connects inside the boom.
I think if the cost isn't insane I would rather buy a new tube. The boat has never seen saltwater and I've heard that old alum. booms and masts
can corrode from the inside. A friend of mine had a boom that broke for that reason. Should that be a concern ?

bayhoss

Member III
From what you are describing your existing boom has had it. Recycle it.
For a replacement I would recommend a Selden. Excellent product line, superior customer support. No connection, just a very happy customer. They have a website that should supply you with all the info you need.

Best,
Frank

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
"Replace the boom" seems like the more complicated solution to this problem.

With an old sail it seems to me much more likely that the boltrope is worn. With wear and shrinkage, those are only going to get smaller with age.

Are you sure the sail was built for that boat? The boltrope may have never been properly sized for that boom track.

SMLROD

Member II
Unfortunatly, this is the orginal mainsail that came with the boat. At first I thought due to age the boltrope had become worn and that was the problem.
But if you look at the pics you will see rusty screws on each side of the boom. The previous owner placed a long piece of wood inside the boom and used screws to stiffen the boom because it was letting go at the boltrope track.
I guess I will need to look for a replacement. I sure wouldn't want to have it break while under sail.
Does anyone have an idea what a new one will cost ?

Thanks for the thought. Rod