• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Time our 35-II got new sails ... but we've changed wind environment. Need advice.

robjpowell

Member II
If you are familiar with the 35-II's handling I really could use some of the groups collective wisdom. Thanks.

I have spent the last 5 years slowly rehabbing our 1976 35-II (electrical, plumbing, deck re-core, standing & running rigging are finally done) and it is now time to replace the old and very-very stretched suite of sails.
My problem is that we originally bought the boat while living on the upper Chesapeake but are now in Boston. As you probably know the sailing season breezes are not even in the same league (mid-upper teens most days here vs. 0-8 down there). That said I don't have a personal hands-on benchmark to use when I consider appropriate headsail size. While I am a racer this is the family cruising boat and a comfortable ride will always earn me more 'spousal points' than tweaking shape/point to get that last 1/10th of a knot will.

The current rolling gennie is a 155% and my other headsails are a 110 and a 170 (all are at least 15 years old and given their poor shape I wouldn't trust their performance to guide me on this boats handling). I have seen several owners talking about using ~135% on their 38's and 28-30's. While in the end this decision comes down to personal choice can you let me know what your preference would be given these parameters; mk35-II, not overloaded, short handed 'performance cruising', roller furling, tracks on the toe rail, typical winds 13-18 with gusts to low 20's.

Thanks
Rob

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Wild Winds

Rob,
With that kind of wind and your emphasis on cruising and stability I would think a 135 would be plenty of wind catcher for you. There are a lot of good sail makers out there but I just got a new 135 roller furling from Mack Sails in Stuart FL and it is a beauty. It's 6.7oz dacron. In the interest of full disclosure I know several other Ericson owners who like the loft a lot and so I went with them too. I have no other connection with them.

Lawrence B. Lee
Annabel Lee 32-200
Savannah, GA

Akavishon

Member III
Rob, I sail a 32-3 out of Boston, not the same boat but sort of similar. I inherited a rather heavy 150% genoa from the PO but quickly switched to an older 135% after the 1st season, which I have sailed with since. The 32 is a light boat so the 135 works vey well for me in all conditions.

Zoran

ps - mid-summer winds in Boston are often in the single digits, SW prevailing.

Last edited:

boethius27

Member II
We are in Boston as well (weymouth technically) but not only are the sails on our 35-2 old and stretched, but they are made for the wrong boat! and thus do not even fit correctly. What would you charge me to take your old sails off your hands? At least the main...

thanks!
Justin
:egrin:

beachologist

Member I
I have a 35-2 in St. Petersburg, FL. We have a full battened main from Mack that we love. We bought the boat with a old 155% and have replaced it with a 135% from Sail Technologies (also recommended). The 135% works real well from 5 - 20 knts (with a reef). When it gets close to 20, it'd be nice to have a smaller sail up. So if your winds are typically in the 12 - 18 range I'd get a 120% since your going to the toe rail. $0.02

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I am also interested in the main. Would hate to turn this into an auction, so will just say I have none at all so anything that fits will make me a happy boy!

CaptDan

Member III
If you are familiar with the 35-II's handling I really could use some of the groups collective wisdom. Rob

It's been awhile since I posted here, so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty.:rolleyes:

You don't specify which mains'l size you've got; there were at least two configurations - the 'Frisco Main,' high aspect, short footed cut - and the standard, longer footed (<>12ft) varietal. The latter, with greater area works best in fresher breezes with a smaller jib. Out here in SF Bay, where summer winds average Force 5-6, we tend to fly our 90% jib with a single reefed 'Frisco' main from about 16 to 22 knots apparent.

That said, all bets are off if you have opportunity to have a flatter cut, heavier air main'sl built. In that case, a 135 gennie could be your working sail up to the high teens or more. Since the E35II is rather tender, your mileage might vary depending on comfort level, and whether 30 degrees of heel is less desirable than 20.

At this point you might be asking why a Frisco Main equipped E35II would find its way to the East Coast. Well, stranger things have happened, so a session with a tape measure along with the expert consultation with a good sailmaker is a good idea.

Also, irrespective of sail cut, don't ignore the role of the traveler. If your boat sports the factory original 'Finger Guillotine' flavor, you might consider a modern upgrade, with greater purchase and trim control. In heavy air, the mainsheet and traveler are the prime 'gearshifts' for preventing roundups and for helping keep the hull in her upwind groove.

Just some thoughts for your consideration.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

robjpowell

Member II
Follow-up

Thanks all for your comments. It has been a hectic few weeks and I am just back to the list. Here are a few responses;

-the current main has a 12'8" foot so that does not appear to be the 'frisco' variant

-the boat's immediate prior 2 PO's lived in Lake Eire (Ashtabula OH). I was in Baltimore when I purchased her and just moved to Boston at the end of 2007.

-The traveller is the old variety and rest assured a replacement is part of the budget when the main is done. I have a quote from Garhauer for a custom curved direct replacement but I am considering a straight track moved forward a touch. This would allow a binnacle instrument pod to be fabricated.

-I have noted both names for the main and I will contact you both directly when this upgrade is done. It is highly unlikely it will be before the end of this season as a partial bulkhead replacement (leaking port chainplate) and full rigging replacement has killed the budget for now. In the meantime I do have non-roller jibs (wire luff) that might be of interest (160, 155). Let me know

-winds are indeed often light during the week but as fate would have it the weekends we have time to venture out all seem to blow at least 10-12 and often more.

-finally, I am feeling pretty good about the 135 option.

Thanks for all the advice

Rob