• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Standing Rigging

Ericsean

Member III
I'm about to change my standing rigging on my 1980 E-38, which I'm guessing is original. Looking at the specs in the manual, I saw an option for a single pair of heavier lowers, inlieu of the standadrd two pair of forward/aft lowers. Any one fave this set up? I'm curios how it works and effects the rig. I know it would allow me to square off the spin pole a lot better.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Risky Business

Gotta say.... I have never seen an Ericson from that series (32-3, 35-3, 38-xxx) with single lowers.
Those forward lowers have important work to do to keep the mast column from inverting, and the aft lowers keep it from pumping, also.

OTOH, I must admit that my Olson (same builder but different designer) has single lowers AND running backstays. In seas large enough to cause the boat to slam into crests at all, this system requires setting up the runners to control pumping.
Of course in the more protected waters of our river we do not use them.

Since your particular spar was spec'd out for the rig it has, I would not change/weaken it. If you modify the rig and it pretzels, expect your insurance company to reject that 15K claim in a heartbeat, too.
:rolleyes:

I betcha Seth or Martin or any other ex-factory guys or riggers here will have some far-more-educated comments on this, anyhow.

Loren

u079721

Contributing Partner
Aside from the fact that I wouldn't mess with the existing design - where would you attach the new single lower? Wouldn't the center in-line chain plate attachment point have to have been designed to handle upper, intermediate, and lower? Right now there are just two holes, right?

Touchrain

Member III
Sounds a bit risky to me, too. I am rerigging as we speak (parts arrived today). I had the top fittings sweged and am using sta-loks on the lower fittings, including insulators on backstay, with standard turnbuckles and eyes rather than the more expensive and hard to find Navtecs. If you are considering the same, let me know and I will share how it turns out. Should be done by the end of next week. My son is flying out from R.I. to help.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Single Lowers

All of the Ericsons I have seen have straight spreaders......not swept back..

There are many boats out there today that use a modified Bergstrom and Ridder rig....I sailed with one on a Seidelmann 299 for twenty-six years......the concept is totally different than the rigs used on Ericsons....and require a permanent Baby Stay.....the installation of same is a major pain if done as an aftermarket project......

I would be very happy to go into all of the details with you back channel if you so desire......

Bottom Line......leave your rig alone... you are just looking to come to grief....heed Lorens warning....

Good Luck