• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor chain sources--US or Chinese

ChrisS

Member III
After losing my anchor and chain last fall, I'm looking for 50' of 5/16th HT chain, and am trying to get a better price than the WM $4.25 a foot. Most of the stuff I am seeing sold on eBay comes from China. One seller claims that almost all chain is sourced from China these days, and that quality control is much better than just a few years ago. I have a hard time believing that, but have no data to back up that assumption. Does anyone have any experience with/knowledge of this?

Does anyone know of a source for US made chain, or is WM my only bet? Defender is a little less but shipping to the West Coast negates any savings in the price per foot.

A good night's sleep at anchor is worth paying a little more, but with so much of what we buy coming from China I wonder if my assumptions are outdated?

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Anchor Chain

I have always found WM most expensive.

When I bought chain several years the best prices were at Wash Chain, try Google. They offer various kinds of certifications for their chain. They also had an extensive assortment of beautiful SS anchor gear.

They are a big commercial supplier. Shipping is an issue but they ship from several locations. Maybe CA will call??

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A while back I read a few tests, IIRC, in Practical Sailor where they did corrosion tests on different brands of chain. The Chinese stuff was all inferior. I believe Acco is still all US made. Not all Chinese products are poor but enough still get through to make me wary. Just a short while ago didn't they find chemicals in Chinese baby food, dog food and then lead on childrens toys too? I'll buy Chinese cookware for the boat but things like anchor chain, standing rigging, etc. I'll buy the best I can get and usually that is still US made.

Unless you only use the anchor as a "lunch hook" this is an absolutely critical system. Many, many other bits and pieces on a boat could be of questionable quality but the anchoring system in not one of them. Its bad enough worrying that the anchor will not set, get stuck, drag, etc. Lets not add outright failure to that list.

RT

Last edited: