• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-2 water leak around chainplate

eaststone

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a 1981 Ericson 35-2. I looked at the boat today, and liked the boat. However, I noticed some discoloration of wood around the windows. Although the chainplates seem to be ok (as far as I can tell, as I couldn't disassemble the whole thing to get a true picture). I read the Practical Sailor review of the boat, and it mentioned that this could be a major problem with the boat, and it said to stay away from boats with serious chainplate/bulkhead problems.

Any input of other Ericson 35-2 owners with similar problems will be appreciated. As the price is right, I'm thinking I could work on this as a project, or is this a major big headache project?

Also, the boat has a 3-cylinder Universal diesel. Broker didn't know if this was an original engine (and there is no hour-meter on it). Does anyone know if this model came with the 1981 ericsons? Thanks.

Don

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do a search on this site... LOTS of information about this topic... As in oodles of information...

Loren

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I had to get both the major bulkheads replaced because of cumulative damage from chainplate leakage, and the boat had spent her whole life in southern California. Doable, but expensive, so check it out very thoroughly - the surveyor I paid missed it completely.
Let me know if you want more detail on repair options.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972