• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Making the boat longer....

tdskip

Member II
Yes, strange topic heading... So here is the deal, our 25+ with the engine out of the water measures +/- 30 feet. Hard to tell exactly since our 3 year old was helping with the measurements :)

I have a new slip picked out but she needs to be a minimum of 30 feet, so I'm looking for ideas on how to bump her total length slightly as insurance. The "trick" is that the extension has to be functional and not something that looks like I'm gaming the system (which of course I sort of am, but for a good cause being that it will help me get the boat into use and the kids learning to sail). In defense of this approach, the slip people said it is perfectly OK to have an extension as long as it's functional...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a bimini frame on our E30+ that folds back over the pushpit (stern rail) and extends almost a foot. It also serves as a safety factor in case someone leans too far back, potentially falling over the stern rail, as the bimini frame is a bit higher up.

Of course if the boat doesn't have a pulpit at the bow, adding one would extend the length. Another option might be an anchor roller. If you are only a few inches short, adding a life ring onto the back of the pushpit may be helpful. Finally, a barbecue added to the stern rail may do the trick.

Good luck!

Frank

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Here in Seattle I had the opposite problem. I had to shorten my E29 overall length to qualify for a 30' slip. I was a couple on inches over 30' when measured from the extreme ends. I ended up moving the barbecue from the stern to the side.

My neighbor removed the bow pulpit.

So how about a barbecue mounted to hang over the stern or new bow or stern pulpit? Anchor platform? Bowsprit for an A sail?

tdskip

Member II
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Is there a bow pulpit option that doesn't require permanent alternations to the boat?

markvone

Sustaining Member
New extended bow pulpet

This could mount to the the existing deck holes or be designed to be removeable from the boat mounted bases like many stanchions. Downside is that it would be custom fabricated and more expensive than other options.

I like the A-sail/cruising spin sprit idea the best (if you use one). I've seen quite a few owner mods for this on the Beneteau235.com site: http://www.beneteau235.com/beneteau_f235_owner_mods.htm

Simple, lightweight and useful if you use the A-sail. You could go as long/short as you need. Mark

iwantone

Member II
Attach a small dingy, paddleboard or kayak to the back of the boat with a holder to keep it out of the water.