• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck core

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Just came across an old (2003) thread that mentions Ericson's "apparent" use of "Divinycell" in the deck core construction rather than balsa. (The poster was the owner of a 1984 35 II.) Is this true and what is "Divinycell?"

Last edited:

Roger

Member II
Mark,
Divinycell is a brand of PVC foam core material. To the best of my knowledge, the only Ericson model that was manufactured with a Divinycell deck core was the 28-2. I remember working on the first few 28's to make templates for the Divinycell so it could be pre-cut by the manufacturer. The installation was different than for balsa, utilizing a special putty rather than resin.

I don't recall for sure, but I think we eventually switched back to balsa core on the 28. Decks on all other later model Ericsons (from early 80's on) were definitely balsa cored. Many buyers had (and still have) a preference for foam core as it won't rot due to water intrusion. However, it's more expensive and, at least back then, more difficult to work with.

-Roger

Roger Brown, Naval Architect, Inc.
949-581-1880
www.rbrown-navalarchitect.com

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Just curious. Everything I have ever read here mentions balsa, except for that 2003 thread I came across.

Thanks!

Gary G

Member II
Is my 28+ foam or balsa?

This is the first I've heard of Divinycell. I've never had occassion to drill into the deck of my 1983 E28+ so I have to ask - is it balsa cored or Divinycell?

Roger

Member II
Gary,
Your 28+ deck has a balsa core. It's the newer 28 (which began production c. 1985) which has a foam core, and it might have been only the first few of those.

I noticed that the E32-3 owners' manual has an illustration indicating a Divinycell foam core in the deck. I don't recall that foam was ever used on the 32-3 but I could be wrong. The earlier 32-3's certainly had balsa. Any owners notice a foam core?

-Roger