• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Used Pedestal Guard Wanted

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
I want to add a pedestal guard to my E-27. The cheapest on-line I could find was about $120. I called a local SS rail fabricator and he estimated around $75-$100. I have also been keeping an eye out for one at Minney's in Costa Mesa and even Dan's in Long Beach.

Before I move forward, thought I would check this site to see if anyone had one they are willing to part with. At this point, I only really need the SS tube. I can pick up the base connections and I think I even have a source for the part that connects to the pedestal, but let me know what you have if you have it!

Thanks

Todd
1976, E-27
Alamitos Bay

dwigle

Member III
wanna wait?

I have one, but have no interest in shipping it. It appears to be the width an Edson would use. No feet or binnacle adapter, but does have a platform for mounting something. I currently plan on being in So Cal mid July, possibly as far south as Marina Del Rey and could find a place to carry it aboard. Price is open, I scored it dumpster diving and was going to use the tubing for another project.
Let me know.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
Pt Richmond, CA
E 38 #8

toddbrsd

Don,

Thanks for the offer. I am contemplating another option. Since I am only looking for a place to mount my handheld GPS and handheld VHF radio, I am thinking of mounting the 9.5" Binnacle Adaptor, that I picked up from Minney's for $18, and using that as a base for 2 independant SS tubes that would connect at the tops to a piece of either teak or starboard to serve as the platform for my GPS cradle. Should easily have enough support for the GPS. Not sure about if someone trys to use it as a grab bar though! My other issue is that the main sheet traveler is immediately forward of the pedestal, so not sure if there is enough room for a cockpit table that I would have connected to the pedestal guard I was looking for.

But I am still open to a pedestal guard if one shows up locally! July is going to be a hectic month so trying to coordinate a pick up in MDR is not likely in the cards.

BTW,

I have since inquired with another local fabricator and confirmed that it would cost about the same to have them bend a SS tube, as ordering one on-line.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Gmilburn

Member III
Cockpit Mantle

Todd, I read with interest your desire to mount your GPS and VHF radio at or near your pedestal--Like you, I too wanted a couple refreshment holders and a stand for my Garmin depth and GPS combo unit. So over the winter I fashioned a "mantle" (as in fireplace mantle) out of solid teak. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Here are a couple of pics of it.

I got two pieced of solid teak (1 x 10 inches wide x 36 inches long on eBay for about $79 each). I then had a local sign company with a custom wood router cut the boat name into the teak ($65) and then I just used dowels and corner screw jigs to put it all together. I didn't want screws to show externally.

It turned out pretty well.

Additionally, I customized my throttle and gear shift knobs out of wood (curtain rod ends from Home Depot) and dry coated (bronze) my captains wheel. I also went to Hobby Lobby and got some cheap wooded spheres and drilled them out to become rope end stoppers. Not sure if they add all that to the elegance of the boat--but they are fun projects--and a great excuse to buy more power tools! If you've ever watched the show "pimp my ride"--my winter projects are much the same--in this case "pimp my boat". Like Todd stated, I'm still trying to figure out how to fashion a cockpit table for the split T cockpit without interfering with the main sheet, and still being accessible for the captain. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW if your wondering from the pics what the paraphernalia is mounted on the top of the SS pedestal guard--its a mini HD flip video recorder mounted via an octopus tripod. I will often just turn it on and record the outing. Makes for a nice mental getaway in the winter when the snow is flying outside--and I am sailing vicariously.

Anyway, perhaps these photos will generate some ideas for your boat. Enjoy!

PS I used the teak scraps to make a winch handle holder. I hate to waste expensive wood!

Attachments

• IMG_4128ch.jpg
    IMG_4128ch.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4125ch.jpg
    IMG_4125ch.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4200ch.jpg
    IMG_4200ch.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 63

toddbrsd

Gary,

Thanks for sharing. Is there a physical connection between your setup and the pedastal. Just curious. The pedestal connection I bought is by Edson so I'm not sure if it is going to match the YS pedestal. If not, I saw on another thread where someone made one out of starboard, so that is another option.

I also noticed that your main sheet traveler is arched, which I think gives you even less room than mine, which is straight.

Enjoy

Thanks

Gmilburn

Member III
Todd,

here is a pic of the OLD MANTLE that shows the connection to the pedestal guard and pedestal. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• mantle connect.jpg
    mantle connect.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 160

toddbrsd

Gary,

That looks very similar to the one I picked up at Minney's so hopefully it will fit the YS pedestal. I was even able to get the SS "cross strap", shown in your picture, as well. Does anyone know if there is a link or thread on how to remove the compass and top portion of the binnacle in order to insert the "binnacle adapter". Otherwise, I will just start unscrewing from the top down!

Thanks

Last edited: