• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

GPS Suggestions

Brian K

Member III
I'm considering a Garmin 640 chartplotter but I'm concerned with the charts provided. I sail Lake Ontario and therefore the version I need is the "coastal" charts version. But this covers only US waters and any trips I take will likely be to Canadian waters. Am I understanding this correctly, that if I want detailed charts for Lake Ontario in Canadian waters I'll have to buy additional charts?

Is there another brand out there that comes pre-loaded with both US and Canadian waters of Lake Ontario?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Look beyond the color ad...

Before you throw $$ at Garmin, be sure you read their install instructions carefully.
Buried deeply in the manual (or on-line in the PDF manual) you will find that they want their current models installed at least 39" from your steering compass (or any other compass / magnetic device).
As of about two years ago, they changed the case design from a friction fit for the chip door to a powerful permanent magnet to hold it shut.
Local dealer was amazed and so was I. That sucker will hold hold our vehicle key ring tight to the exterior!

So, all the sailboats with normal mounts on the binnacle guard better pay heed. Note that interference may not show up at rest or at some direction and heal angles.

Strictly IMHO, this is not a "marine" instrument at all, no matter how many full-page ads they buy.

No one asked, but I believe that Furuno is still building chartplotters intended for use on boats, OTOH.
:cool:

For the record, I have a Garmin 3005c (works ok) and the sonar option (that is physically falling apart) and a Furuno 1715 radar that is much better built.

When we get some money ahead, there is very likely a Furuno gps/radar net system in our future... when we get some money ahead. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, that's the raspberry from the cheap seats!

Regards,
Loren

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Before you throw $$ at Garmin, be sure you read their install instructions carefully.
Buried deeply in the manual (or on-line in the PDF manual) you will find that they want their current models installed at least 39" from your steering compass (or any other compass / magnetic device).
As of about two years ago, they changed the case design from a friction fit for the chip door to a powerful permanent magnet to hold it shut.
Local dealer was amazed and so was I. That sucker will hold hold our vehicle key ring tight to the exterior!

So, all the sailboats with normal mounts on the binnacle guard better pay heed. Note that interference may not show up at rest or at some direction and heal angles.

Strictly IMHO, this is not a "marine" instrument at all, no matter how many full-page ads they buy.

No one asked, but I believe that Furuno is still building chartplotters intended for use on boats, OTOH.
:cool:

For the record, I have a Garmin 3005c (works ok) and the sonar option (that is physically falling apart) and a Furuno 1715 radar that is much better built.

When we get some money ahead, there is very likely a Furuno gps/radar net system in our future... when we get some money ahead. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, that's the raspberry from the cheap seats!

Regards,
Loren

Hi ! Just a quick Note I have been using a Garman 126 on my E 30+ for over 6 years and quit happily , I have a laptop Satalite 100 connected to the Noble tec charts (directly on the hard drive). Has been working like a dream come true, I only use the Laptop hook up when I am setting the course, most of my GPS waypoints of this area Victoria-Seattle, and as far north as 50 degrees all 64 of them are listed in the GPS.
I reciently installed a Garman 300C depth sounder, however I had to shield the cable from the GPS because of interferance . P.S. I used several wraps of tin foil near the contact are. and now am very pleased with the way both insterments are working in concert. My depth sounder is a thru hull fitting replacing the original, this was not an easy fix. I brought the cable (from the transducer) up thru the headliner on the port side using a miners head light to see.The cable from the transducer had tobe at least 30 ft long, I therefor had to obtain a longer cable. Tro Tec in Victoria BC did this for me at no extra charge.

Chas and Judi EDEN E-30+

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'm a huge Furuno fan. Its industrial grade gear, very tough and actually designed for a marine environment. Compare a Furuno side by side, and I'm not necessarily talking about the "software and features" Look at how robust the case, switches, etc. are. Nothing even comes close. Last time I checked Furuno NavNet 3 didn't need any chip at all. You could upload any chart, any format yourself, for free if you are willing to do the footwork and use the US Govt charts. Its basically a mini computer that has been weather hardened. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I love my Garmin 3206 and I also have the radar. I had a 1600 series furuno radar that died a few years back. The radar overlay on the gps is nice.

I chartered a boat in St. Vincent/Grenadines this year and the Raymarine(e80 I think) on it was very buggy and locked up often. It also was not as intuitive to use as the Garmin.

BTW, I do not think that all the Gramin models have the magnetic door latch but I could be wrong.

Brian K

Member III
I was aware of the magnet and the clearance to a compass. Even the Furuno brand has a minimum distance to the compass. Does anyone have any feedback on the Lowrance line, especially the Elite 5M and the HD5M?

Glyn Judson

Locating a GPS near the helm.

Brian, Loren and all, For what it's worth I have an older, large Garmin 225 in the cockpit that I've had mounted in the port coaming for years. It's away from any compass proximity issues and I might add, is just below my Autohelm 4000+ control head. As a matter of fact, my Yanmar engine control panel is under both of them such that all the needed instrumentation necessary to be accessed from the helm is stacked one atop the other. Having the two so close made the NMEA 0183 wiring of them together very simple. They are both extremely accessible and at he right distance to be clearly read. I might add that for me anyway, placing them there avoided the clutter of instruments around and above the compass, something that can easily become visually top heavy. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with putting them on the binnacle, most folks do, it's just that I don't find that look all that appealing. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rvivian

Member I
Combing GPS mount

Glyn -

Are there any potential issues with damage to the combing mounted instruments from people moving about the boat?

How do you protect them?

Any pictures?

rvivian@q.com

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, I have a Furuno 1724 about three inches from the compass on the binnacle. When installing it I noticed no variation moving it around the compass, powered up or off. I have noticed no variation since then either. There is also a fluxgate compass on board and the magnetic unit varies a bit but the variation appears constant.

RT

tadslc

Member III
I have a Standard Horizon 180i and it does everything I could ask and more. It also is pretty reasonably priced.