• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stay Sail on the E35-2

Elwyn

I have looked at the attached pic many times, but I recently noticed that she is flying a stay sail along with the jib.

I was wondering if any E35-2 owners use a stay sail and what - if any - special rigging you have to manage this addition to the sail plan.

Thanks!
Elwyn

Attachments

• ericson.jpg
    ericson.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,362

CSMcKillip

Looks like they are using the spinnaker block aft, does the 35 have 2 primary winches, maybe cross sheeting the jib.

windjunkee

Member III
As part of the new sail inventory for VOR, we are getting a stay sail and the sail plan is already set up for one.

We have added roller furling finally and decided to update the sail inventory based on several factors:

1. In a recent race, we were battling upwind in 35-plus knots were struggling with a #3 blade and double reef in the main, and wanted something a little easier to handle.

2. With the roller furling, we're going with a #2 build for a more versatile sail.

3. Most of our races are not windward/leeward but are longer distance, off shore, off-wind races.

We are getting 4 new sails -- a new main, new #2 3DL, a code 0 (to make up for bailing on the light or medium #1) and a staysail.

The recommendation is that the staysail will help us balance the boat and handle more wind, especially upwind. We're still working with North Sails about the build dimensions and technical issues like a portable spectra stay vs. a direct hoist with the stay built into the luff chord. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.

If anyone is interested, I can try to figure out how to share the North graphics on the proposed sail design.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Please share!

Yes, I am interested. I have been thinking about adding a stay sail to my 35-2 for a while, so would like any info you can share. Thanks in advance, Edd:egrin:

cimarronE35

Member I
I fly a direct hoist staysail called a banana stay sail.
It belonged to my buddy's Schock 35. He gave me the sail after he sold the boat.
Basicly I use the topper to hoist it, and have blocks that I installed in the deck just aft of the chain plates for the aft lowers. When were close reaching with the #1 lets say 50 to 65 apt in anything over 12knts apt then it does a great job of balancing the boat. Much less rudder means faster speeds. I have found that in light air the boat feels numb and avarege speeds are slower. Also I found sailing at any wind angle above 48 apt. and the stay sail just doesn't work.

Howard Keiper

When we bought Sea Quest, we discovered in the paperwork the drawings for the fabrication of the staysail rig and hardware, and the drawings for the fabrication of the vertical exhaust riser. I'd be happy to copy either or both for anyone interested.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

stillwater

Member II
Play with staysail on the cheap!

Hi 35-2 owners,

I've still got a wire luff staysail with mast tangs (for running backstays) and the small tracks and blocks that were used on an early 35-2. The sail looks decent. $150 for all.

Dal
E39 "Stillwater"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Genoa staysail....

...is what you are seeing in that shot. Compared to a full sized, low clewed #1 genoa alone, the combo of genoa staysail and jib top (aka reacher, aka high clewed genoa) is a little faster but you give up 5 or more degrees of pointing.

It won't work too well under a more modern low clewed #1-the high clewed sail opens some room for this sail to operate.

On long races the consensus was a net upwind VMG gain with this setup over a single lower clewed genoa, but around the buoys it was a net loss-especially since tacking is so much slower with this rig.

Once you are truly cracked off from a beat it is much faster, and a nice plus is that you can shift down to a #2 (provided the clew is not too low), or blast reacher (high clewed #3 type sail) and still use it-which really does help keep the boat better balanced. Just remember it is not as close winded with this combo.

In the pic, the staysail is sheeted to a short staysail track on the cabin top, which is the best position for sheeting on this deck.

FWIW, the term "banana staysail" normally implies a tall, high aspect spinnaker staysail, which is hoisted on one of the spare genoa/kite halyards to nearly full hoist- and not a genoa staysail which is low aspect by definition, and generally not intened for use under a spinnaker. The term was pretty much out of use by the time the Schock 35 came into the world-although some of the old Santana 35's had them.

Spinnaker staysails, even the smaller high aspect ones, generally won't be effective any closer than around 90 degrees apparent.

This is just to reference the common use of that name, but we are all free to call our sails whatever we want of course!

For Jim McCone, I would love to have one of these on a furler (the type you can lower to the deck once the sail is furled), which I think is what your sailmaker is considering.

Cheers,

S

Matey

Member III
Jim,

I'd be real interested in seeing North's graphics on your sail(s) / plans. I'm considering them building us a 100 .. and some odd % furling headsail sheeted inboard with my riggers design input this next year. He's a big North guy.
I'll try and send you mail on the sidebar

Regards, Greg

craigtilson

staysail

Hi jim

itoo have a 35-2 in penticton bc.... always get high winds her and would appreciate any and all info you have on her

regards craig
and or email me
cheers

craigtilson@yahoo.com

As part of the new sail inventory for VOR, we are getting a stay sail and the sail plan is already set up for one.

We have added roller furling finally and decided to update the sail inventory based on several factors:

1. In a recent race, we were battling upwind in 35-plus knots were struggling with a #3 blade and double reef in the main, and wanted something a little easier to handle.

2. With the roller furling, we're going with a #2 build for a more versatile sail.

3. Most of our races are not windward/leeward but are longer distance, off shore, off-wind races.

We are getting 4 new sails -- a new main, new #2 3DL, a code 0 (to make up for bailing on the light or medium #1) and a staysail.

The recommendation is that the staysail will help us balance the boat and handle more wind, especially upwind. We're still working with North Sails about the build dimensions and technical issues like a portable spectra stay vs. a direct hoist with the stay built into the luff chord. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.

If anyone is interested, I can try to figure out how to share the North graphics on the proposed sail design.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA