• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 parts

westcoastcat

Member II
Came across this on Craiglist, I am not affiliated with him in any way.

Parting Out 27' Ericson Sail Boat (Long Beach)
complete boat what do you need? Dan 310-795-8978<!-- START CLTAGS -->

Dan has a business disposing of old boats in the area, has a boat salvage yard in Long Beach, no emails or website. I've met him nice guy.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
It's probably one of the Ericsons that sold at the auction two weeks ago.
:)

Just talked to Dan. He is also parting out a Newport 27. Both were sold at the auction at Alamitos Marina. I guess this is where most of those boats end up...

Last edited:

westcoastcat

Member II
I guess this is where most of those boats end up...

Yes unfortunately it is. I am currently parting out an '84 30' Islander Iona sailboat, this had been sitting on the hard for about ten years, all the wood / bulheads were rotted out, engine seized, etc. and the cost to fix was more than the boat could ever bring in even in great shape. Got a bunch of great parts to support my Ericson hobby though.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
E-27 Parts Boat

Went down to look at the E-27 parts boat this morning. Picked up the door and frames on either side of the companionway for future storage project. Also picked up the aft quarter berth cushion, since it was missing from my sailboat. Unfortunately it didn't fit. Just on of those nuiances between the wheel steering and tiller models. I think I can still have the foam cut down.

As you would suspect, the boat is being salvaged for the lead and Atomic 4, which by the way looks pretty good, but that could just be a paint job. They were removing it when I got there. Not sure what else they will remove from the boat, but when I asked how long he would have it, he said that it will be gone by Monday.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I was there around 2:00 PM yesterday to look at the portlights.

BTW, a phone number that was posted about a year ago for a "Valerie" is no longer valid; Dan is the guy to talk to.

Last edited:

JLK

Beware of Dan

FYI, I purchased a "rebuilt" A-4 for my E-35 from him last year. It
was a nightmare! He is a snake & I had to spend another $1500
doing a follow up top end rebuild...dont support this scam artist!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. That really sucks! I have got some great deals from Dan, such as Harken Blocks (like new), Forspar Whisker Pole (like new) for pennies on the dollar. Another friend of mine got a beautiful used companion way hatch for a E-27 for $150 and a tiller for $20.

I don't think I would ever buy used electronics or motors there though. I asked Dan once about electronics and he said he stopped selling them because he had no way to check the reliability and could not guarantee that they would work.

I am not defending Dan in anyway. I don't really think he's that knowledgeable about sailboats. He's a junk dealer. All I really know about the "Sailboat Junk Yard" is that it is a resource for scarce used Ericson parts on the west coast that's why I have posted some of his listings on this site.

Dave Hussey

Member III
This may turn out to be an academic question since the logistics might prove to be unmanageable, but if someone is going to make a stop at this guys junk yard, I would like to know if the mast support column is in better shape than mine (mine is beginning to shift out of plumb due to warping and checking)
Dave :esad:

checked column.jpg

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I agree; the engines I saw in his yard/shop did not look operational. He has a Westerbeke engine out of that E27 listed on Craigslist for $2,000; I don't think the boat sold for more than $700 at auction, but then he has the expense of hauling it away, cutting it up and disposing of the remains. (Sounds like a CSI episode!)

On the other hand, if I spend $100 for 4 portlights and they don't work out it's not such a great loss. All in all it's a bit of a crap shoot; look at what he has and see if it is worthwhile. I didn't see a lot there that was for me, except the portlights. I am sympathetic to the poster's plight, however, since I have been on the short end of that stick myself.

They say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Sometimes trash is trash...

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I doubt the boat will still be there when I go down at the end of the week. If it is I can try to take a look at it. Without actually seeing your compression post in person it might be tough to make the call if this one is better...

Last edited:

Dave Hussey

Member III
Thanks Mark.
don't make a special trip, but if you are going there anyway, ask him what he'd want for it just out of curiosity...I'm not quite sure I know how to remove mine so there is that problem too, but, I am curious.
Cheers.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
As I suspected the E27 was long gone. He also didn't have any other compression posts like the one in your boat. He had a metal post of some kind that he said was a compression post but couldn't remember what kind of boat it came out of.

I picked up the portlights and they look like they should work fine if I can get them cleaned up and the glass reinstalled.

He also had removed the two smaller portlights; one was the original fixed portlight and the other was a Lewmar opening portlight that had replaced the other fixed portlight. The Lewmar is an older model but looks to be in good condition other than crazing on the acrylic. The fixed portlight also looks like it could be refurbished. When I can get some pictures of them I will probably offer them up here.

I also saw the Westerbeke 2-cyl diesel engine he is selling and it looks to be in very good condition and was running in his shop.