• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Starboard aft thru hull

CSMcKillip

This is located on the starboard rear quarter, the boat is out, did the gelcoat fail? What is the fix?

d98bc200.jpg

u079721

Contributing Partner
That's pretty strange looking, as it looks as if the gel coat previously covered the face of the through hull. Every through hull I've ever seen is either flush or maybe a bit proud of the hull - but in any case it is usually left exposed. I figure this is partly for maintenance, but also because the gel coat is not that likely to stick well to the plastic of the through hull. In your case it looks as if the through hull surface was a bit below the surface of the hull, so they faired it in with gel coat and maybe putty of some type. But it didn't completely take, and it even looks as if there is a line where water has seeped under the gel coat.

I would grind it back till I find sound glass or gel coat, and then just fair it in with thickened epoxy up to the lip, and not try to cover it over again.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting pics of the area on the blog. I have never heard of having a thru hull fitting put in and then having gel coat put back over the top of one, even tho that's what it appears that they did. Such fittings are not installed until the hull is out of the mold...
:confused:

BTW, is it a cockpit drain?
(If so is it for the port side footwell drain fitting? I wonder if those are crossed under the rear cockpit floor? I only ask because I have stood in an inch of water while driving a 33 to weather when heeled down all the way. Admittedly we did have four guys in the cockpit area.)
:cool:

Loren

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

I don't know Loren, I thought it was the cockpit drian, and looking at the plumbing drawings I should have two thruhulls on the starboard side, I will have to verify the location.

So none of the thru hulls are like this on your boats, is this an ior thing?:rolleyes:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't know Loren, I thought it was the cockpit drian, and looking at the plumbing drawings I should have two thruhulls on the starboard side, I will have to verify the location.

So none of the thru hulls are like this on your boats, is this an ior thing?:rolleyes:

Speaking very much in general, IOR hulls have smaller transoms and tend to have cockpit and bilge pump exits on the side of the hull aft, and usually low down toward the stripe.
My hull is a MORC-derived shape with flatter sections aft and this provided room on the wider stern for these sort of exits.

Loren

Surfin Tiki

Member I
Through hull

My 33 has the same fairing job around the aft quarter through hulls. Perhaps it was done to make the boat a little faster.
Somehow, this fairing material has remained intact over the years.
I know that one of the starboard through hulls is for the propane locker drain, the other for a bilge pump exit.

Last edited: