• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Regulations for Canadian boat visiting San Juans?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
We are planning a one week sailing trip to the San Juan Islands in August. Our Ericson 30+ sailboat is registered in Canada and we have the Canadian Pleasureboat Operators Certificate and Restricted Maritime Radio Operators Certificate for our VHF, and meet all Canadian regulatory/Coast Guard requirements.

Are there any other US regulatory requirements needed to ensure we meet all US regulations? For example, I am unsure if we need a radio station license (not needed in Canada), a sticker about waste/oil disposal, etc. Of course we will comply with regulations on waste discharge.

I am aware of the need to check in with customs on arrival, and restrictions about food, liquor, etc.

Any information/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Spirit Moon

Member II
Frank
It sounds like you have things well covered . Being based out of Sidney I've spent considerable time in the San Juans. Sometimes we just sail over to Roche Harbor for lunch, check in with Customs, eat and sail home. The US Customs staff at Roche and Friday Harbor are thorough but very good to deal with. When you dock at the customs docks (they are well marked) someone is allowed to disembark to help you tie up. After that they must get back on the boat and stay there until your cleared in. Take passports for all passengers and your boat registration into the office and they will take you through the rest. If you are 30+ ft you will need to purchase a customs cruising sticker. As for a base station licence I haven't bothered and have never been asked. I had one on my previous boat but didn't bother for our E38. Don't take any Cuban made rum, cigars or citrus fruit from anywhere, even if it is from the US. I beleive beef is now ok again. You can top up groceries in Roche and Friday Harbor. Enjoy, it's a great area.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Thanks for your helpful reply.
Frank

Hi! Frank your E30+ is 29 ft 11 in, as is mine, on my Canadian certificate. The Blue prints say 29 ft 9 in. I have been going back and forth across tthe US boarder for over 12 years and have not had to have an extra American permit ! So no, we do not have bragging right for a boat 30 ft and over.

Chas and Judi E 30+ # 720

Last edited: