• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar Ocean series hatches

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Does anybody know the correct size for the forward hatch (and the aft hatch for that matter) on an E 35 III? While searching here, I find references to both 60 and 70 series. My boat is not at home to measure.

thanks

Steve Murray
E 35III #222
Charlottetown PEI

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Steve, I replaced mine 2 years ago and they are both Ocean series 60 with the flat base. The opening in my boat(#218) is molded into the deck so I would be surprised if yours are different but it is always good to measure before you buy.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
old Lewmar trivia

What Tim said, especially about checking the exact model first. Lewmar has a flat base model and one with a "spigot" as well.
My particular boat uses the spigot model that takes care of trimming out the inside of the opening.
I'm not saying that over the years they may slightly reposition the holes in the flat flange... but one our size 70, most of the holes in the replacement were off by an eighth or so. I was going to over-drill and epoxy in all the old holes anyway, and this just meant that some needed to be drilled out wider and toward one side. :nerd:

The long thrubolts for the hinges will need to be nutted from the inside -- and since the Olson does not have teak inside trim to remove and replace to cover this, I used SS barrel nuts on the inside so that there was nothing standing proud to scrape a cranium on.

Edit: Adding a picture to show where the thru bolts go on the "Ocean" series Lewmar. There is a lot of twisting force on the flange at that point.
Also, a link to some photos of our installed "new series hatch", in an earlier thread.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4690&referrerid=28

Happy hatching,
Loren

Attachments

• Lewmar hinge base.jpg
    Lewmar hinge base.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The hatches on the 35-3 are attached with an adhesive sealant(4200 etc) and wood screws into the fiberglass. No through bolts.

The screw holes on the new hatches do not even come close to lining up which makes it a little easier than what Loren had to do as you just drill them out and fill with thickened epoxy and drill new holes.

Last edited:

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Thanks Tim. I was hoping you would reply since I knew you had done this recently. With the early spring here, I'll bring the boat home next week and get started. Have you made a decision on a new boat yet?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I just replaced an old Lewmar with a new Ocean series, 70 sized in the salon of my E38. The holes "almost" lined up as Loren indicated but not quite. I turned the hatch 180* so now it opens aft, clear of the vang and mainsheet. I did not through bolt the hatch, I simply reused the same style hardware, screws into the laminate, drilled in fresh holes after filling the old with epoxy. The hinge point does move a bit, even with the large 1/4" screws through the hinge points, its not enough to really pull the flange down solid. My plan is to replace each screw one at a time, counter bore from below for nut/washer clearance, through drill for machine screws, to correct this. The negative is I will have to remove teak interior trim to do this. Bedded in butyl the hatch is leak free and will stay that way as long as I don't open/close it to much, until I get to bolting it.

RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Tim. I was hoping you would reply since I knew you had done this recently. With the early spring here, I'll bring the boat home next week and get started. Have you made a decision on a new boat yet?

Well our boat is 99% sold.

My wife loves the Liberty 458 but we are both having problems with trying to get a nice bluewater boat that is comfortable enough to live in but also have some performance. The Kelly-Peterson 46 is a nice compromise but it has a 5' walkway to the aft cabin.