• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

aged standing rig

Gil Aiken

I own a '73 Ericson 35 with the original standing rig. My wire rigging is 30 years old and the turnbuckles are frozen. I read recently that the average useful life of wire rigging is about 12-15 years for coastal water cruising. Is this accurate information? What is the approximate cost of new stays and shrouds? Thanks for any information.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yeah, It's time....

I spoke to riggers and a surveyor friend before replacing our rig last summer. In general, what I came up with was 10 to 15 years in fresh water. About 5 to 7 in salt, and as little as 3 in warm salt water.

I found so much stuff that needed rewiring and replacing on the spar that it turned out to be a very good thing that we pulled the spar.
Our original lights and vhf antenna all worked, but mostly fell apart when we tried to remove them. The coax was old.... The wiring was untinned, etc, etc.
Even the little flag halyard block was frozen!
Now I can quit wondering if those brown places on the wires are a "bad sign"!

:rolleyes:

Best,

Loren
1988 Olson 34

escapade

Inactive Member
Gil;
I just completely rerigged my E34. Pyacht has the best prices on rigging I could find & they will do the swagging for free. The larger suppliers will usually price match so print off the information (www.pyacht.com) and go shopping. I was able to reuse the bolt's & lower toggle's by heating w/propane torch and then backing off the offending part. Wire brushing the threads and coating them w/antisieze compound now allows me to turn them all easily by hand. If they don't move easily or there is any visable damage to the threads, I would recommend replacing the entire turnbuckle. Remember, there is a TREMENDOUS load on these parts, especally when heeled over @ 20 deg. or more! This is not a place to pinch penny's. Total cost for the rigging will be in the $2,000.00 range, plus cost to step the mast, if you do the work yourself. Check the wireing, lights. etc. while you have the spar down as this is a much better time to do it rather than in a bosun's chair! Have fun! Bud E34 "Escapade"