jgarmin098

Member II
Mast Boot

I need to replace teh mast boot on my '88 32-3 with Kenyon mast. According to Rig-Rite's website (the only source I know of for Kenyon parts) the part is out of stock and out of production.

Has anyone replaced their mast boot lately? What did you use and where did you find it?

e38 owner

Member III
Mast Boot

The fiberglass repair manual has I pretty good idea for a msat boot.
I used it and it has been very good.
Go to a tire store and get and old truck inner tube.
Cut about a 15" piece out of the tube
If the mast is down slide it up the mast if the mast is up the tube must be cut and glued.

Seal the ends of the tube to the mast and the deck with either silicone tape or hose clamps.
I used silicone tape from tommy tape.

Put a dab of silicone in the mast track to keep it from leaking.

It has worked great It has been dry and can be removed if needed. Before the tire I used 6" wide silicone tape (Mast Boot) This is much less expensive and works well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Local sailors that went with Spartight tell me that they still need a boot to stop drips. Spartight does a wonderful job of replacing wedges, and that's what it is primarily designed for.

Ocean racers that I know put "whatever it takes" around the base -- not just limited to self-amalgamating tape, sealant, tapes, and lots of etc. They then cover the unsightly-ness with a nice outer cover of sunbrella. This looks very nice and the water is doubly kept out.

First rule is, "whatever works!"

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

maggie-k

Member II
Your right Loren usally a bead of caulking such a sikaflex is put around the top of the spartite to ensure it is 100% water tight as well a universal boot can be added.

stbdtack

Member III
Is there a chance that the mast is out of the boat? Then you are golden and can put on a boot with no seams. I used closed cell neoprene, really UVresistant and stretches to seal around the mast collar. Can also use this stuff with wetsuit glue for a good seal if the mast is in the boat. Sunbrella will do a great job of protecting whatever you use....

erobitaille

Member II
BEN,

So you made your own collar? I have seen it in some of your pictures looks great. Can you provide info on wher you obtained materials how much etc?

Thanks

John Wressell

Member II
The white flexible mast boot that you cut to size and install with two large stainless clamps is excellent. No leaks. Both West and Defender sell it.

John Wressell

clohman

Member II
I replaced mine with a generic brand when the mast was removed. This avoided the seam that would otherwise need to be re-sealed.

stbdtack

Member III
Hi Ed,

I used 1/4" closed cell neoprene. I cant remember where I bought it but I will find out. KKMI uses it when they make mast boots. The advantages are that its real stretchy and being foam, conforms to any surface shape easily. Its UV resistant but I would cover it with sunbrella to protect it anyway. I have just been spraying mine with 303 since I keep putting off the sunbrella task.

Since my mast was out I could make one without a seam. Basically a flat oval shape with a matching offset oval shape hole in the center. The center hole is about 1/2" smaller than the mast section profile. Just slid it down and over the collar with a large hose clamp. Then trimmed off the extra with a razor. I actually used rigwrap at the top and bottom edge to protect the neoprene from the clamp edges. They dont have to be overly tight to get a good seal. Then just filled the slot with clear silicone and it's been trouble free. You could run a small bead of silicone around the mast area if you want a bulletproof seal. It can be easily glued with wetsuit cement so if it needs replacing I will just hand stitch the joint then coat with drysuit seam sealer. Should be just as durable. Ive tried many different mast boots on many different boats and this one seems to be the easiest and most durable. The innertube rubber one is good but it doesnt stretch as easily as the neoprene so its a little harder to get a proper fit.

hope to see you guys on the bay....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Protecting the "Boot"

I know an ocean racer who sez that he uses tape, vinyl, silicone, and whatever it takes (including one of those ugly looking ribbed wraparound vinyl ones you cut and glue together... and then puts a Sunbrella cover over the whole thing to keep water from directly hitting it and keep the UV off. Never a problem on any ocean race.

I had a Sunbrella lace-up cover made to go over our old Kenyon mast boot (well, what was left of it after 20 years) and put it on a couple seasons ago. Not a leak and it looks very "custom." :cool:

Loren

Last edited:

Akavishon

Member III
I think spartite is a replacement for the mast wedges, but you'll still need some sort of boot over it to keep your cabin dry. Not sure why you guys think the cheap vinyl stuff from WM is so awful ... looks alright to me :egrin:

Attachments

• CIMG2375.jpg
    CIMG2375.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,872

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think spartite is a replacement for the mast wedges, but you'll still need some sort of boot over it to keep your cabin dry. Not sure why you guys think the cheap vinyl stuff from WM is so awful ... looks alright to me :egrin:

Agree about the Spartight, and also that your boot looks a lot better than most of the installations I have seen. I would also vote for covering yours so that the UV will not attack it, though.

Apologies if I insulted your boot!
:rolleyes:
Loren

ps: edit -- now combined with earlier thread with same question. Heck, I even answered it the same way...)
:)

Last edited:

Akavishon

Member III
:egrin: I'm sure my boot will graceously accept your apology and compliments ... not sure she'll agree to be covered though, but I'll try to talk her into a nice blue sunbrella outfit, really like the idea :p

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do you have any problem with water getting in behind the track from above the boot?

Not as long as you clean the inside track and then shoot it with a glob of silicone right at the boot point and up to a half inch above.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Boot Cover

I finally got a picture of our Sunbrella boot. It laces on. This keeps the UV off of the vinyl original Kenyon cover that I have glued and pieced back together over the years.
No leaks down the outside of the spar yet.
Loren

Attachments

• Mast boot cover lorez.JPG
    Mast boot cover lorez.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 89
  • MastBootCover Starb lorez.JPG
    MastBootCover Starb lorez.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 85