• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23 MKII Rudder questions

Uberman23

I am the proud new owner of a 1976 E23 MKII. this is my first boat, and I am really excite to take her out. It is currently moored in Saint Helens, though I will be moving it into Portland soon:egrin: She has been well maintained, so the only thing I am really concerned about right now is the rudder.

The rudder seems to be bare wood, and even has a small mushroom growing out of it...(the kind we see on trees here in Oregon, that look like round steps)

I haven't been able to find any information on what the stock rudder is made of, or whether or not it is a good idea to glass over wood. Also, it seems to be missing a bushing (there is a bit more play around the gudgeon than I think there should be). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Alex

Braveheart

Rudder

Hi,

I am a real newbie when it comes to Ericsons though I have sailed for 20 years. The one we just bought had a saturated rudder and I found out that Foss Rudder can replace this item for you. Just Google "Foss Rudder California" The Florida one does not have them. They will ship. If at all possible, replace it, it is one of most major components on a boat and fungus growing on it is not a good sign ;)

fredn56

Member II
Congratulations on your acquisition!
Can't help much with the rudder question, but there are often people here who can. Keep on asking.

Cheers,

Fred

ppink3

E-23 Rudder

I am in the process of refurbishing an E-23, drop keel model.

The Rudder is teak, and a big chunk it is. I have removed it, lots of sanding to get to the good wood, fared it with thickened West System Epoxy. Three coats of epoxy. So far, so good. I intend to paint it then bottom paint the lower portion.

A whole lot cheaper than buying a new rudder.

Tom
SV Outta Gas
SV Yard Bird