• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wind in Long Beach / Wilmington vs Dana Point

tdskip

Member II
Hi Todd - Newmark tucked away in a commercial area. Not picturesque, but it should make for better sailing than Dana Point.

1. Newmarks is a half mile down the road on the left.
  2. <IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116977136372509137990.00044985518a700677af6&s=AARTsJpPbmJXINsP7vbRkmV3bf2p3056vQ&ll=33.767696,-118.248382&spn=0.012486,0.018239&z=15&output=embed" frameBorder=0 width=425 scrolling=no height=350></IFRAME>
    <SMALL>View Larger Map</SMALL>

I'm going to put our name on the waiting list for Alamitos as well, hope you get a slip there soon!

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
The location show on this map / chart is in Wilmington. Be aware that it will take you 35 to 40 minutes to go through the main channel to get to open water from there. No wind to speak of back in Wilmington.

tdskip

Member II
Hi Jeff. Yes, aware that we'll have some time before we get out from behind/under the bridge. It was blowing there yesterday, so small sample size, but we would have been able to sail all the way out if we didn't feel like motoring, and just being under sail is going to be such a nice change. Is there usually a wind shadow back there that I should be aware of?

How would you compare the sailing experience from Holiday Harbor?

Thanks for the info folks!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Every time I have sailed back there I usually have to take tight tacks back out and up the channel if you do get any wind in there. Sailing into the channel is usually better. Sailing out is another thing.:esad:

Also lots of Container & Cruise ships, tugs with barges to dodge. Be aware if you get too close to the cruise ships (200 yards?) the CG or port police will be on you pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to do a harbor cruise every once in a while but I really don't think it's a great area to sail. Lots of available 30' slips at Cabrillo Marina right now. A little over 11 bucks a foot.

http://www.cymcabrillo.com/berth_info.asp

Meanolddad

Member III
I think we have been able to ghost back into Wilmington from Al Larsons once in the 5 years we have been in San Pedro. We did not have much commercial traffic that day. Plan on motoring most days to stay out of the way of all the commercial traffic. They do have right of way in the channels.
After keeping a boat in Channel Islands and Marina del Rey you are quite correct about interesting sailing and lots to look at in San Pedro/Long Beach harbors.
Enjoy
Greg

tdskip

Member II
So if I end up at Newmark sounds like I should be planning on motoring in/out...

Is there much commercial traffic on the weekend?

Thanks folks!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yes, The Port of LA runs 24 / 7. I have to contend with ships all the time. I never know what's scheduled to be coming in or out. For example on my day 4 hour sail last Saturday I saw two Container ships come in and two Cruise Ships go out. Not to mention the regular harbor traffic such as tugs, barges, fishing boats and pleasure craft.

Some times, not often I will get a day when I don't see any big ships.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Chowder Barge

At least you will be near the Chowder Barge in Wilmington. It's all the way back in Leeward Bay. Fun to check out. Not many restaurants with a guest dock where you can tie up and get a bite in LA Harbor. Always interesting collection of Old Sea Dawgs and toothless Sea Hags to chew the nautical fat with.

Beer, Burger & a Cup-O-Chowder!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2009/04/chowder-barge-wilmington.html

Attachments

• th_wanted_chowderbarge.jpg
    th_wanted_chowderbarge.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 6a00d8341c630a53ef01156f3fb30c970c.jpg
    6a00d8341c630a53ef01156f3fb30c970c.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 3323428591_f944759889.jpg
    3323428591_f944759889.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 35
  • ChowderBargeSign.jpg
    ChowderBargeSign.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 29

Meanolddad

Member III
You will see quite a bit of commercial traffic in the main channel. Sometimes it will seem like a conga line. I just get in line and match the speed of the commercial traffic. Angels Gate is pretty busy at times. If you stay inside the breakwater and head towards Long Beach you will find less traffic. Sailing down and around the oil islands near Shoreline marina is great. The water gets a little thin near the Queen Mary so keep an eye on your depthsounder. The area south of pier 400 can be alot of fun to sail in, the water stays nice and flat with plenty of wind and not much traffic. Sailing back to the main channel from there can be a bit tiresome for a non sailor like my wife so if she is along we fire up the iron genoa to make the trip back to the slip quicker. The barges can sneak up on you, the container and cruise ships are so big you will see them way off.
Hope this helps
Greg

tdskip

Member II
Great info folks - I really appreciate all the advice and coaching. I'm excited that there is an active and supportive community here - how great!

Meanolddad

Member III
I second Jeff's suggestion. My first time to Catalina on my own boat was last years rendezvous. I buddy boated over with Jeff and we all had a ball. I soloed across and my family joined me there. Great group to explore Two Harbors with.
Greg

tdskip

Member II
What do y'all think of Shoreline Marina near the aquarium?

Flew over it today and it got me thinking...

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That was the first Marina I tried to get into back in 2002. They did not take boats under 30 feet at that time. I have a 27 so that answered that.

Personally I like San Pedro better. More wind and It doesn't take nearly as long to get out into open water. I am just not really a fan of the crowds in Long Beach. Parking and traffic.

Also be aware of the sand bars around that area. I have friends that have ran aground there. I believe Shoreline is operated by the City of Long Beach.

Meanolddad

Member III
Busy, loud and crowded on Friday and Saturday nights. My wife likes that so we occasionally rent a slip there for a Saturday night. Lots of restaurants near the slips which is nice. I like the small town feel of Al Larsons better. I like being where it is quiet. Cabrillo Marina where Jeff is nice and quiet and a lot prettier than Al Larsons. You may want to check there since you will not have to stretch your boat to make 30 feet. Come on up some time and I will give you a harbor tour on Regulus. We can just cruise around the harbor you can see the good and bad.
Greg

tdskip

Member II
Thanks folks.

I think I'm bringing her up to Newmark this weekend as a temp slip while we make a decision on longer term home.

Thanks for the offer Greg!

tdskip

Member II
Believe it or not, we've made a decision and she is going into Shoreline for the time being. That will allow us to have a place that we can extend long term if we like it, and serve as a good jumping off point to explore other marinas. We've got two kids under 7 yrs old, so having restaurants and a place to ride scooters etc is a factor in the decisions, but like I said we'll go exploring once up there.

Looks like the 22nd will be the "big" move.

Looking forward to connecting with y'all, and we are very appreciative of all the help and support you have shown us. Thanks!

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Hooray>>> Permenant Slip

Got the call yesterday from Alamitos Bay Marina. After only a couple of months on the waiting list, my number came up. Quicker than I thought, but probably a sign of the times.

tdskip

Member II
Congratulations Todd! That is a nice maria, good amenities. We had a prior boat there and really liked the experience.

So, and you knew this was coming, do you guys think Alamitos or Shoreline has better wind?