• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Binnacle Removal Ericson 32

williel

I just purchased a 1985 32' and will be removing the binnacle to address some leakage issues through the binnacle itself and into the cockpit sole which is a little spongy. I hope to drill some small holes from below decks to drain and dry the plywood core, and then inject with epoxy when dry. Is this binnacle removal difficult and is there anything else I should be on the lookout for when I'm in there?:confused:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It is fairly straight forward but the difficulty may come when you find out what it was bedded with. If 3M 5200, you will have your hands full.

Search the website here for a lot of details about working on your binacle.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Be gentle

I had the binnacle removed from our E-32 III as part of a project to refinish it and to repair a wet cockpit deck. Because I live 120 miles from our boat and it was done during the early winter months I had a local marine services company do the work. When they tried to remove the base they ran into a lot of trouble with the sealant that was used. I took two men and some careful work with a chisel to remove it. Still, they ended up cracking the base but were able to weld it back together, sand blast it down and then finish it off with Awl Grip. It looks great. As for the wet deck, water came in at the pedestal guard connection to the deck. But the marine service was able to cut out the affected wet core from the bottom so they didn't need to cut into the top of the deck. The wet area was about two feet square.