• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Owner and Newbie Question

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Hi folks,

I am the new owner of a 1976 E27, (Already have the lingo down!). This is my first sailboat at the age of 46. Can you say mid-life crisis! I have been taking lessons at OCC School of Sailing and Seamanship since November, starting with the 14' Lido, then 30' Shields, and now on a 42' Catalina. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this website since considering the purchase about 3 weeks ago. OK now for the Newbie question. The E27, with wheel steering, has the (what I thought) main sheet on the traveler directly in front of the wheel. I just noticed today, 2 additional main sheets running, one port and one starboard to the cockpit. The sheets are fairly short, barely reaching the the steering area. Can someone enlighten me on what those are intended for? Also, the pulleys?? (alright probably not the right term) are attached to one of the stanchions. Even with my limited knowledge, does not seem right. I have attached pictures for reference. Taken with my cell phone so I apologize for the clarity, or lack thereof.

Thanks

Todd
E-27
Hull #1000
Alamitos Bay

Attachments

• IMG00006.jpg
    IMG00006.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG00007.jpg
    IMG00007.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
A guess only

I think that is a preventer set-up.

When used properly, a preventer keeps an accidental jibe from becoming a catastrophe when the boom tries to crash across the cockpit, possibly breaking things along the way.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
An Answer, Maybe

Firstly, Welcome to the Ericson Owners' site!
If you are referring to the two tackles that go from the forward portion of the boom to the rail and then aft, these are often called "double preventers."
Some sailors choose this rather than a single boom vang tackle.
I would not choose this setup for my own boat but have sailed on a boat so equipped.
Most of us probably are happiest with a boom vang that allows the boom to pivot freely from side to the other when tacking or jibing.
:nerd:
Anyhow, on the boat with the double preventers, we would take up on the lee side line to hold the boom in place and avoid an accidental jibe when running downwind. When we did get ready to jibe over, someone would payout the line tail for the side the boom was needing to move away from and someone would take up the tackle on the side the boom was moving over to.
By using the two tackles together you could also achieve a vanging effect.

If I have misunderstood your question, just disregard everything I said!
;)

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Makes Perfect Sense

Thanks for the quick response guys. That makes sense to me. Since the preventors are not taking up the full force of the boom, I suppose it is okay that the tackles are attached to the stanchion, but still doesn't sit well with me. Not sure how much additional load should be put on them.

Last edited:

DennisK

newbie question

Does the line end on the boom? Or does it go up to reefing points........?

Hi folks,

I am the new owner of a 1976 E27, (Already have the lingo down!). This is my first sailboat at the age of 46. Can you say mid-life crisis! I have been taking lessons at OCC School of Sailing and Seamanship since November, starting with the 14' Lido, then 30' Shields, and now on a 42' Catalina. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this website since considering the purchase about 3 weeks ago. OK now for the Newbie question. The E27, with wheel steering, has the (what I thought) main sheet on the traveler directly in front of the wheel. I just noticed today, 2 additional main sheets running, one port and one starboard to the cockpit. The sheets are fairly short, barely reaching the the steering area. Can someone enlighten me on what those are intended for? Also, the pulleys?? (alright probably not the right term) are attached to one of the stanchions. Even with my limited knowledge, does not seem right. I have attached pictures for reference. Taken with my cell phone so I apologize for the clarity, or lack thereof.

Thanks

Todd
E-27
Hull #1000
Alamitos Bay

Sven

Seglare
I suppose it is okay that the tackles are attached to the stanchion, but still doesn't sit well with me. Not sure how much additional load should be put on them.

The preventer only comes into play under real load when it is preventing an accident so it will usually not be stressed (I hope :) ). We once looked at a Hunter 54 that jibed during a blow without a preventer, it broke the boom and bent the mast. I think the Hunter owner would have been happy to have damaged a stanchion instead.

Glyn has a similar setup on Dawn Treader but I think his lines lead to blocks on the coachroof.

Glyn ?

-Sven

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome Todd,

Nice looking boat, I like the yellow hull. I see you have an Ericson for as a slip neighbor.

toddbrsd

Pulleys, tackles, and blocks, oh my!

Does the line end on the boom? Or does it go up to reefing points........?

I'll take a closer look, I am pretty sure it leads to the boom, and I am thinking that the others have it right with a preventor.

Thanks

Todd

toddbrsd

Eye of the Beholder

Welcome Todd,

Nice looking boat, I like the yellow hull. I see you have an Ericson for as a slip neighbor.

Mark,

The color is growing on me. I have not seen too many colored hulls, Maybe since this is Hull #1000, Ericson wanted it to stand out!!! Although I have had thoughts of changing the color someday, I am somewhat of a traditionalist and figure I will keep it true to its original color, besides, Its easier to identify. The boat next to me is an E29 that is for sale. 3 slips down is another E27 with tiller steering, that coincidentally has the yellow stripe and white hull.

Todd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Double Preventer (Vang?)

Welcome Todd. Congratulations!:egrin:

I have a E-27 (no wheel) as well. I have a double preventer set up also. See the RED lines in the photo. When I purchased my boat 8 years ago I could not figure what the pad eyes at midships on both port and starboard sides were for. The boat also came with jam cleats on both sides of the dog house (cabin top). I was thumbing through the rigging instructions in the original owners manual and I found this set up (see attached sketch). Although they call it a Vang in the sketch, I think of it more as a double preventer. I went ahead and rigged it up and I love to use it when I am sailing wing on wing. It really helps when I am single handing and I need to go up and set the whisker pole. It is great for preventing accidental jibes.

The only problem with this set up is that it can be very hard to release the jam cleat if it's under a load. You may have to release the main sheet & boom vang and point up wind to free it. I really do like this set up though. I have a purchase vang as well but it's not a preventer.

Attachments

• P8290092.jpg
    P8290092.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 76
  • BoomVang.jpg
    BoomVang.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 72

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Heres another shot that shows the jam cleat on the side of the cabin.

Hope to meet up some time Todd (Catalina?. I am in San Pedro.

Jeff

Attachments

• P8290081.jpg
    P8290081.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 68

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Heres another shot that shows the jam cleat on the side of the cabin.

Hope to meet up some time Todd (Catalina?. I am in San Pedro.

Jeff

I suggest replacing the ancient cleats with more modern ball-bearing models like the Harken, and increase the purchase for each side to a two part.

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah, Loren

Good idea. I have considered that, but as infrequently as I use the system I can't justify the added expense right now.

toddbrsd

Double Preventer

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Catalina is definitly on my agenda, but not until I build up my confidence. As said, this is my first sailboat, so I am taking it a bit slowly. I am in a temporay slip and on the waiting list in AB, so with the uncertainty of the proposed construction, who knows how long I will be able to stay there. Never know, might end up in San Pedro. I live in Huntington Beach, so AB is more perferable than San Pedro for now.

Todd