• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marina Shipyard, Long Beach

MMLOGAN

Member III
Good day all,

I need to do a haul out for bottom paint. Does anyone have experience with Marina Shipyard in Los Alamitos Bay?

Thanks for the help:egrin:

Matt
E35-3 Wind Chaser

Sven

Seglare
No real info but that is where our rigger had us take Senta for the mast removal and installation when we re-rigged.

No complaints about damage or dirt.

-Sven

MMLOGAN

Member III
Sven,

Thank you for the response. I have used Cabrillo in the past and thought I would try someone new.

Cheers,

Matt

Meanolddad

Member III
We used Marina Shipyard for our last bottom paint and found them quite professional. Our bottom paint was peeling from mis matched paints and they handled it beautifully. We would highly recommend them.
Greg

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Going Rate?

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a E27. Didn't haul out as part of the Survey, but the hull cleaner mentioned that it is probably due next winter. Just wondering if there is a lineal foot rate for this. I saw that Cabrillo had a "Winter Special" of $850 for sailboats 30' and below. Need to start budgeting. I probably want to get the thru hulls inspected and possibly replace the valves, since the PO did not have any maintenance records... Kind of scary for a new boat owner.

Thanks

Todd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have used both yards. I prefer Marina Ship Yard partly because the don't use a crane. I hauled out two years ago at Marina and it was about $8oo. If you want them to do prep and blister repair it will cost you more. I did all my own prep. It all depends on what you find when you haul out. If you are in Alamitos Bay why go anywhere else? There are so many marine supply places near buy if you need supplies or hardware. Marina Ship Yard get's my vote.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Thank you all for the help. I was quoted the "March Special" over the phone today by the Marina Shipyard. Haul out and bottom paint $1211.00. We'll see what else needs replacing/repairing once it's out.

Great group. Thanks again for all the fast replies. :egrin:

Matt
E35-3 Wind Chaser
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Seems kinda steep.

For what it worth. As I recall the estimate they gave me was much higher than what I was charged at the end of the job. Once again I did all my own prep (sanding the whole surface, dug out and patched a few small blisters) so all the Yard had to do was paint. I remember Tony the Yard Boss was very impressed with the prep that my buddy and I did so that's probably why I came out a few hundred dollars cheaper than the estimate.

Sven

Seglare
I remember Tony the Yard Boss was very impressed with the prep that my buddy and I did so that's probably why I came out a few hundred dollars cheaper than the estimate.

Is that Tony Avilla (spelling) ?

When we talked to Captain Glass (Steve Phelps) he indicated that the yard no longer allows outsiders to do work in the yard. I was under the impression that included owners and not just contractors ?

Do you know if they still allow DIY ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow, that's news to me Sven. Was there last year working on a friends Catalina 34. What was great about it was they did not charge lay days on the weekend and you could DIY. In fact I worked on 3 boats total in the last two years there.
:confused:

Sven

Seglare
Wow, that's news to me Sven. Was there last year working on a friends Catalina 34. What was great about it was they did not charge lay days on the weekend and you could DIY. In fact I worked on 3 boats total in the last two years there.
:confused:

Please don't take my word for it.

Since we got the info second hand it could very well be wrong. I should probably call and find out.

-Sven