• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Spares for trip home

aquavit

Member II
My first trip in my 1990 E28 will be a 7 - 10 day sail home with it. I want to make sure that I am checking any items that should be looked at before I depart, and that I have any spare parts that are prone to failure. My main concerns are with any of the mechanical systems on board. So far I have located a rebuild kit for the Raritan toilet and I am tracking down an impeller for the raw water pump. I will change these items along with oil, oil filter and fuel filter before we leave the dock. Does anyone have any opinions on any items prone to failure? The engine is a Yanmar 2GM20F s/n 11999. There are some items for which I do not have a part number yet and I won't see the boat again until I pick it up. My list is as follows;

Raritan kit #PHRK11
Impeller #124223-42092
Oil Filter # ???
Fuel Filter # ???
Air Filter # ???

Any and all comments are welcome.

Glenn

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I also suggest you clean the raw water strainer if you have one, check the fan belt for any cracks or slipping, check coolant and transmission fluid levels, and carry spares for oil, fuel filters and impellor. I would carry wood plugs for the seacocks in case one fails, all normal coast guard required stuff, your bill of sale/registration and phone numbers for any emergency (eg. BoatUS, etc.).

Good luck and enjoy your new boat!
Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
For a start I would add an engine fan belt.

A rebuild kit for the water pump would be good too, either the mechanical, foot, or both.

Even if you don't plan to run at night, you could easily get caught out after dark. So check that all the running and steaming lights work, and carry spare bulbs for each.

Fuses. At least on my Universal there was a 20 amp inline fuse by the starter motor. If this blows (which mine did twice in 12 years) the engine won't start.

I'm sure more will occur to me later.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
We've said fuel filters but should be clear that we are referring to the Racor priomary as well as any secondary engine filters. If the boat has been sitting for any length of time there will be some funk in the tank and once you start tossing the boat around it will end up in the filters. On trips like these with a new to me boat I carry like 4-5 racor filters. Better yet would be to sample the tank but that may be a PITA. Definately familirize yourself with bleeding the diesel so you can do it in the dark with the boat tossing around. I dont bother with carrying oil filters as I have never needed on one on a trip like this but why not. Spare alt belt definatley. Extra couple of qts of oil for sure and prob coolant. Stuffing box wrenches are usefull too along with a good selection of other tools. What is your route and will you be offshore? If offshore then you have whole other list to get together... Good luck we are all jealous of new boat owners!

Glyn Judson

Spares??

Glenn, All good advise already given, especially belts, running lights and fuel filters. For the latter you might be persuaded get two of each fuel filter assuming that you have a primary Racor type filter and the Yanmar secondary filter. A long passage can stir up varnish-like crud on the bottom of the fuel tank that can clog the filters, thus the importance of spares on spares of fuel filters. I had this very thing happen to me on the last 30 or 40 miles of a 140 mile passage when we hit some pretty rough seas. By cleaning the filter repeatedly, I was just barely able to limp back to our marina and our slip but I have to admit, there were moments that I thought we'd lose the engine because of that. I now have more than one spare for each filter. Shortly thereafter I had the fuel polished, the fancy way of saying that I had all the crud professionally filtered out of the tank. On another topic, if ever your raw water pump begins to leak, don't toss it even if you buy a complete replacement Yanmar pump. All there is to rebuilding it is one neoprene seal and two bearings and at most you'll spend 20 minutes or less rebuilding it on your work bench. I know, been there, done that. I didn't have time to mess with ordering parts and rebuilding my Yanmar 3GMF pump at the time, so I bought a new one and rebuilt the old one to keep as a spare, have never needed it of course. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Emerald

I would also pick up some spare hose for the cooling side from the seacock all the way to the engine. Be aware that it is apt to be several different sizes depending where you are e.g. I've got 3/4" from the seacock to the raw water strainer input, and 5/8" on the output side to the raw water pump - this was dictated by the inlet size on the pump. So, just be sure you check out each section of line and be sure you have all sizes needed. While you're at it, grab spare fuel line also. I also carry a bit of spare 14 ga and 12 ga wire and end connectors

I, of course, assume you'll have an ample supply of duct tape, bailing wire, and chewing gum on hand.... :cool:

Glyn Judson

Extra hose.

Glenn, David (Emerald) makes a good point. I'm reminded of the short delivery I made with the new owner of E31 hull #66 from the Channel Islands Marina to Marina del Rey, CA. The formed Yanmar output hose coming from the raw water pump developed a long slit and we didn't discover it until the cabin sole was awash. The owner freaked out so I put him at the helm and assured him that it would all be fine. Of course, I had no idea how I was going to repair the hose and ended up not fixing it. I removed the raw water feed hose to the head and using that, replaced the offending hose. That meant that we couldn't use the head for the rest of the time we were on the water but it was better than sinking the boat or sitting dead in the water with no wind whatsoever. So buy several lengths of emergency hose and make sure to have a tool kit containing at least a screwdriver and knife for cutting the hose. Spare hose clamps too, hmmm? Glyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of Basics...

"Plus One" to all the above advice. As a kind of aside, consider getting your current Vessel Safety Check done and get that sticker on the spar.
This VSC stuff seems almost too basic, but yet it is good to be real sure of those "basics."
;)
I get this done every season in April. Good excuse to look over everything from flare dates to individual navigation lights.
And, should anything untoward happen to you that begets an insurance claim, it is one of the things on their short list...
Get out your PFD's and check 'em over, and for any major delivery it's good to rig jack lines and have your tethers ready.

Have a safe trip,
Loren

Attachments

• VSC checklist.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 60

u079721

Contributing Partner
OK someone above added the part about wood plugs. But let me add that you should memorize the location and function of every hole in the hull too. If you go below and find water over the floorboards you might only have a few minutes to find out which through-hull has had its hose pop off - no time to go hunting through lockers searching.

Isn't it interesting how the delivery of a new-to-you boat is possibly the most dangerous trip you take in it? You don't know the boat, the systems, how it handles - and the first thing you do is get it in and head off. In my case my Ericson 38 was only 5 years old, so I didn't really worry too much about break downs. And while I only had a few hours with the boat before delivering it 550 miles from Chicago to Saginaw Michigan, I did take along a few much more experienced friends.

Good Luck!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
most important item not yet mentioned: Spare beer, rum, limes, and tonic for when the engine dies and the wind does not fill in till the next morning...:egrin:

u079721

Contributing Partner
most important item not yet mentioned: Spare beer, rum, limes, and tonic for when the engine dies and the wind does not fill in till the next morning...:egrin:

Come on Ted - he is a sailor after all. We took it for granted that he didn't have to be TOLD to pack extra beer and rum!