• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Do it yourself yard near Portsmouth RI?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
So my Ericson is pretty close to sold and I am looking at another boat in Portsmouth RI. I am pretty sure the yard where this boat is stored does not allow DIY work or at least not bottom stripping of any sort. Can anyone point to a good(cheap) yard in the Portsmouth/Newport/Bristol maybe area?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can only recommend Point Judith Marina. Unfortunately thats in Point Judith, just outside the bay, not really near where you are asking but certainly a days sail easy. I recommend them simply because they have allowed me to do anything I want as long as I adhere to the rules. If you are going to sand the bottom a vacuum sander is required and tarps on the ground. Common sense. Dust is treated as hazardous so you pay them to take it or simply dispose of it yourself. Easy. This is the yard I am at now and also where I did the bottom job, keel drop, standing rigging, etc. all myself. They also offer a fixed price for haul/wash/store/launch, no nickel-&-dime crap. They also allow local soda blasting subcontractors to work in their yard if you wanted to sub out that work. Hope this helps. RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks RT. The boat I'm looking at has been on the hard for a few years in the hinkley yard in Portsmouth. I was hoping to get the bottom soda blasted and barrier coated figuring its probably as dry as it will ever be but I'm pretty sure they wont allow that sort of work in the yard. Will check PJ for sure. Ive been there before but it was years ago.

dave_g

Member II
Bullocks Cove

Try the three marinas in Bullocks Cove: Bullock Cove Marine, Lavin's Marina and Brewers. There is also the Borden Light marina in Fall river. I have worked on my boat (including scraping and sanding the bottom) at both of these.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks guys. Will check all of these out. We are looking at a Wauquiez 43 Amphitrite Ketch. Was a model built from '78-'90 and has was my family of 4 needs for extended bluewater live aboard. Just not yet 100% that the one in RI is the one we will buy.