• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 double headsail rig

Capt.Grant Dial

I've seen a photo of an E29 double headsail rig and they have the lay-out specs in the owners manual. I am looking for someone w/ experience w/ this rig and what their comments on it are.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I broached this subject a couple of years ago and the consensus was, as I remember that this would not be applicable to racing but might work for loaded cruising boat. Hopefully one of the former Ericson employees will join in on this.
I am looking for things to do to my E29 T to be more competitive racing. If you have any tips that might help let me know. What are you hoping to gain by running a stay sail.?

Capt.Grant Dial

Double headsail rig

What I hope to gain is a more cutter like performance. Cutter rigs are known for easily balancing the helm so you steer less, plus the more combinations for shortening sail. I live aboard my boat so I'm not really interested in racing her, but I do intend to do some extensive cruising - some offshore.

As far as racing: I have the origonal mainsheet track on my boat and I would upgrade and modernize that, prehaps Harken. I would install inboard genoa lead tracks, a good vang and better spinaker gear along w/ the suitable sail inventoy. Of course that would take some deep pockets. There are a couple of issues @ the gooseneck that could be modernized as well, but most of that isn't on my priority list. I have resurrected this boat from a slow death and would be glad to build a dialogue w/ you on my experience. A good many of these older boats ( mine's a '72 ) are great sailors and can be that much more so if you upgrade the running rigging and associated controls.
Capt.Grant :egrin:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Capt. Grant,

There is a little information in the Documents section of this site (1st link in the 29 section). Looks like the double headsail rig started as a custom boat but was later offered as an option from the factory.