• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The time has come to part with our beloved Ericson

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for your input Matt and Fulltilt. We really like the Stevens/Hylas 47. It is an S&S design so it is fast and has a great layout. We have yet to see one in person though.

FullTilt E28

Member III
If you enjoy doing charters before you drop big coin on your big boat. Charter one! Shoot I sailed my little U20 for 6yrs as crew before I bought one. LOL

Our E28 I sailed on three in different conditions before we decided it should be on our shopping list.

So before you get sucked in by a Boat show sales job - get out and sail one for an extended period of time. Best idea charter one for a week or two and have a great trip whats $2000 when your dropping 100K on a boat?

Hands down if you have the time Mid July Croatia is the most amazing charter location you could ever visit. We did Sunsail out of Dubrovnik and had a brand new boat even the older boats were spotless! Regarding Elan's etc while your there take advantage of it and look at them same with the Dufour's.

And do not be surprised if you decide to just stay we almost did.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Tim the Stevens/Hylas 47 was at the top of our list for desireable cruising boats but we jsut could not get there on our budget. One caution with the newer Hylas boats is to avoid the Frers designed versions like the 49. The rudders are poorly designed and not supported fully. I have seen several of them break and evwen more riddled with stress cracks waiting to break. The 47 was originally built by Queen Long in Tiawan and when Hylas took over production they moved the layout a little taking the galley to the starboard side. Not really sure why. Another area to look closely at on these is the bulkheads esp where they are in the bilge. Many of these boats had problems related to moisture there. Repairable but worth knowing about in price negotiations.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Tim the Stevens/Hylas 47 was at the top of our list for desireable cruising boats but we jsut could not get there on our budget. One caution with the newer Hylas boats is to avoid the Frers designed versions like the 49. The rudders are poorly designed and not supported fully. I have seen several of them break and evwen more riddled with stress cracks waiting to break. The 47 was originally built by Queen Long in Tiawan and when Hylas took over production they moved the layout a little taking the galley to the starboard side. Not really sure why. Another area to look closely at on these is the bulkheads esp where they are in the bilge. Many of these boats had problems related to moisture there. Repairable but worth knowing about in price negotiations.

Thanks Ted. Good info.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Well my budget would not permit an Outbound either. Very nice looking boats though. I especially liked the storage lockers. We are now the proud new owners of a Wauquiez 43 Amphitrite. She is in Rhode Island and I will be commuting there on weekends in May to prep for the delivery home to Annapolis. Very excited about this boat as she is a true blue water cruiser. 200 gallons of water, tons of storage, lots of sea berths, 3 separate sleeping cabins...

Attachments

• IMG00012-20100414-1330 (2).jpg
    IMG00012-20100414-1330 (2).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG00017-20100415-1458 (2).jpg
    IMG00017-20100415-1458 (2).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 62

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Also outside the budget. We are limited to $200k including delivery and taxes.

Congrats Ted. I also looked at those. We are stuck on the Stevens/Hylas 47 at least until we see one in person. Hopefully we can check one out in Noank in a couple of weeks.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I looked at the listing for the one in Noank. Looked like a nice boat. For what its worth a friend of mine at BVI yacht sales in Tortola sold one of these boats last fall for 165. Good luck!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am not sure that is the same boat Ted. This one is listed in Jersey City. I think the owner keeps it in Noank in the summer though. It has been for sale for a year or so. I think the name is Back Pages.

The one that sold for $165k was likely a former charter boat.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The one that sold in BVI was Cali II. Her owner prepped her for blue water cruising but after sailing to BVI decided it was not for him. He sold in desperation and moved to Panama. My buddy was the broker on the sale. Its certainly a below aveage price but it is a comp none the less. Definatley get a broker to show you Soldboats.com. You need a password to get in but it will show you exactly where boats are selling, how long they took to sell, and often has notes on survey adjustments if made.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Ted. That was a great find for someone. I bought my E35 under similar circumstances and felt she was under priced.

I actually have a login to soldboats.com. Not too many recent comps. Although you can pretty safely assume the market is softer now and adjust accordingly.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Suggestions from out of right field

Strictly in the "FWIW Dept" I had one of my most comfortable uphill deliveries from San Diego to San Francisco on a KP-44. Comfortable even nosing into big seas 'rounding Pt Conception, and that's saying something.
That boat, named Odyssey, is now cruising Mexico.
http://www.sail-odyssey.blogspot.com/

Here is an owners' web site.
http://www.kp44.org/

Anyhow, just some other thoughts to toss into the mix.

Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Loren. We considered the KP boats. The 44 has a very low walkthru to the aft cabin. My wife is 5'10" and I am 6'0". Although I have read that the 44 is a fast boat I think the Stevens/Hylas 47 is even faster.

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Closed on our new ride yesterday. She's gonna be a lot of work but I think will serve my family well. I plan to remain active on this board as I figure once a Viking always a Viking...

Attachments

• First Sail.jpg
    First Sail.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG00017-20100415-1458 (2).jpg
    IMG00017-20100415-1458 (2).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Congratulations Ted!

Looks pretty cool. Where will you be keeping her? Looks a bit beamy for Hillsmere. Good luck.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Laura, probably keeping her at Chesapeake Harbor, beam is 13'8" so Hillsmere is out for sure. We'll keep our eye out for you though!