• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keel Type/Draft from Hull Number?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Does anyone have (or know of) documentation that will identify the keel configuration (std, shoal or wing) from the Hull Identification Number for the 1984 - 1988 Ericson 26? It will save me a trip to visit ERY26385G888 if it doesn't have the std/deep keel. Thanks! Mark

SurabyaKid

Member III
I think the HIN system only gives Manufacturer ID, Hull Serial number, date of manufacture and Model year. Ericson used length as part of the Hull ID.

A HIN description link is: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

ERY26385G888 would be a 1988 model year E26 with hull number 385, manufactured in July of 1988....If I interpreted the coding right!

Pat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
the limits of the HIN

To best of my knowledge the HIN was/is used to identify only the hull itself as it is produced. Options like depth of keel, height of mast, or engine options are not be included. It is nothing as elaborate as the "VIN" on your car. Far more rudimentary. :nerd:

If you are dealing with a broker and this info is a 'deal breaker' then just let him know before you make your journey that he must reimburse you for time and fuel if his published (and in this case quite basic!) information about this boat is false. :mad:
My guess is that such a conversation will put him on notice that: 1) you are serious, and 2) to double check his "facts" with the owner.

Note that all broker ads, by neccessity, will have boiler plate text stating that everything in the description comes from the actual owner and that the broker assumes zero responsibility for factual errors. This question, however, is not some subjective adjective about the condition of some part of the yacht or its equipment.

Good luck,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
BTDT. Almost wasted about 1 boatbuck on a trip to see a boat in the Chesapeake that had a deep fin keel(according to YW listing). I questioned the broker numerous times as I had my doubts. The area where the boat was kept would have only allowed movement at high tide. He finally called me just before I made my reservations that it was a shoal keel.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You would think that information was documented at one time.

Seth, Do you know?

Probably long gone at this point.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Was hoping someone had the Ericson Archives "Holy Grail"!

Pat,

You are correct on the boat. I called the Seller Organization and the Donor had listed the draft as "4 1/2 feet" which is halfway between the 3' 11" shoal/wing keel :mad: and 4'11" std keel:egrin:. The Seller Org is calling the marina. I was hoping someone might have Ericson production documentation which could confirm whatever the marina reports.

If the boat has the std/deep keel, I'd still have to get some report on condition quickly before I even consider doing something stupid and I'm out of town for the rest of the auction so I can't visit the boat myself.
Any Marine Surveyor contacts in the area?

Please continue to provide guidance and stern warnings to me about "project" and "bargain" boats! Thanks, Mark

Glyn Judson

Build history of our Ericsons.

Mark & all, There were detailed records kept for each and every Ericson built that went to Pacific Seacraft after the auction, etc. EHT files were kept in cardboard file storage boxes under the stairs in the manufacturing area and despite numerous requests to get my hands on them (well, at least the E31's) they were finally tossed out into a dumpster, that was about 1997 or 1998 to the best of my recollection. Years before I was able to grab the files for E25+ hull 515 & 516 for one hour over their lunch break. I dashed out to a local copy shop and made sets for myself, hull #515 and for a friend who owned hull #516. I remember calling Robin at Pacific Seacraft every six months or so asking to take a peek at the E31 files but never had any success. I chanced to call him about two weeks after he'd taken a weeks' Holiday to ask again. He winced when I asked telling me that the first day back at work, he noticed all the files missing. He tole me that the first thought he had upon seeing them gone was, "Oh my God, Glyn's going to kill me". I was physically sick for about two days after that, honestly. The story of my life, a dollar short and in this case about three weeks too late. Glyn

SurabyaKid

Member III
Mark,

I'm in central NC and have only dealt with surveyors that are over on the coast. It would probably be cost prohibitive to get one of them to travel to the Charlotte/Lake Norman area and back. The link below lists quite a few surveyors in NC and there are several in the Charlotte/Concord/Mooresville area that should be able make the trip to Lake Norman pretty quickly/easily depending on their schedules.

http://www.davealtoninsuranceagency.com/marinesurvey.html

Standard disclaimer of no personal/vested interest applies!

On another note, depending on what you are going to do with the boat, the E26 could be an excellent choice. I have very much enjoyed my 1988 E26 and have recently helped advise a friends purchase & restoration of another 1988 E26 that will be sailing in the Charleston SC area.

My personal guess is that it is probably a full keel boat rather than shoal draft.

Pat

markvone

Sustaining Member
Thanks Glyn!

I suspected the files never survived the Ericson shutdown.

Pat,

I called the marina I suspect the boat is at and they provided a local surveyor, but they would not provide any information on the boats/owners they have as clients. So I would have to send the surveyor on the unauthorized wild goose chase to find the boat and look at it in the water. They did confirm that they have the only Travelift on the lake for keel boats and the boat had to be still in the water. The Seller Organization, Boat Angel Ministries, will not provide any information on the auction boats (unless they slip up and tell you it is at a marina) for fear the boats will get stolen or stripped, as they are in AZ and the boats are wherever they were when they were donated. So you are pretty much forced into investigating on your own or bidding site-unseen.

This is where I should be getting SEVERAL replys about "project", "bargain" boats!

Well, it was fun not doing any work all day but my (sane) options are getting pretty limited at this point. I'm hoping the auction will get hosed up and restarted so I can get time for a search and rescue mission next week.

I agree on the std keel. All but one '83 25+ I've seen on the market have been the std keel. My '84 E26 was a shoal, but it must have been the only one!

Thanks for everyones help. I'll keep you informed. Mark

SurabyaKid

Member III
Mark,

I've never bought a boat without the ability to inspect it or survey it in advance.

My take on what is known, experience or reasonable assumptions from description and pictures is:

1) The engine hasn't been run in a year and a half.
2) The engine bilges are dark & dirty.
3) The date of the pictures on the boat angel website is February 19, 2010. Assuming they are current then:
4) Potentially no cover for the main for an extended period. The furling jib sun cover will probably need replacement.
5) The running rigging looks to have some green to it and may require replacement
6) The Instrumentation looks like the factory installed standard horizon and after 20 years will probably have to be replaced.
7) The interior teak generally looks ok.
8) There are dark stains on the teak under the ports, which probably indicates leakage. Especially given the description that the upholstery is faded, but the faded upholsery is not pictured.
9) The shore power does not appear to be factory.
10) Two of the three 1988 E26's I have direct knowledge of have had blisters.

Given that you have to rely on the donators description which Boat Angels pretty much absolves themselves of any responsibility for, and from what you have said, survey or inspection is not possible, it would appear to me that there is potentially more work that would need to be done than the current market sell value of the boat in good condition. A physical inspection may confirm this or find the boat to be an economical value depending on final auction price.

My two cents worth...your milage may vary!

Pat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding charity donations

One thing to keep in mind about buying any donation boat is that the IRS changed their policy on allowable write-offs a while back and nowadays the only $$ the donator can deduct from taxes is the actual selling price of the boat (car, plane, etc).
This really changed the market! Formerly owners could write off artificially high "retail" $$ amounts no matter how worthless the donated boat was and 99% of the time get away with it.
I am not sure whether the value of the donation items now is better not or worse...
but I would imagine that if an owner could sell it cheap, he would; because he is not going to do any better thru that charity, and due to rightful suspicion by the bidders he may do worse.

I noticed that the local Sea Scout base had a significant drop in donated boats after the law change.

Loren