• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 / E30+ / E31 Independence

Keiffer

Member II
After several months of looking and investigation I have narrowed my search to the following three boats - all of which I plan to look at in the next couple of weeks and make a decision and purchase the boat.

My sailing for then next few years will be on Lake lanier in Georgia, with a possible future move to the coast - Savannah.

Any thoughts or advice anyone cares to share on this decision would be appreciated.

I am especially interested in the sailing characteristics of each. I have heard the e29 to be quite sturdy and stable, the e30+ to be fast, but tender, and I really don't have any info on the Independence.

The e29 is a 1974, E30+ 1980 shoal draft, and the independence is a 1980.

Thanks

Keiffer Phillips
Atlatna, Georgia

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
Can't comment on the 29 or 31, but we love our 1984 E 30+. However, we have the fin keel, not the shoal keel you mention. I would guess that the fin keel is a bit faster, more responsive and would point higher than the shoal keel.

You're right that the E30+ is a fast boat, very responsive and picks up speed quickly. We don't find it particularly tender, though I have heard others say that. We put a first reef in the main at about 18 knots, and a second at about 25 knots. We have sailed in 30 knot winds, with 6 - 8 foot waves, and she managed quite fine. I'm sure she can handle more, but we haven't put her to the test.

Our only criticism of the E30+ is that there is not enough storage space. While there are various storage lockers, there are not the small shelves, drawers, etc. that one finds in other boats. We have managed to adapt, but we still find this a shortcoming. Mostly my wife and I sail together, though I am also very comfortable single-handing this boat, and do so quite often. We often also sail with another couple, for as much as ten days at a time, and we have had as many as 7 on board at a time, though only 5 sleeping aboard, again for up to a week.

I would be pleased to answer any questions.

Frank

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Keiffer, I sent you a reply to your private message. Let me know if you don't get it, or if you have other questions.
Frank

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
I'm predisposed!

Keiffer,
I assume the 3 different Ericsons you're considering are all located there on Lake Lanier and no transportation is involved?
First thing that comes to mind, if you can establish the history on any of the three, a "fresh water" boat is most likley going to be in superior condition.
Beyond that, what are your medium to long term intentions, are you an 'around the Buoys' Guy or a Cruiser at heart. If you do move the Boat to the Coast, where are you headed from there?
In terms of motion comfort, you simply can't beat a displacement Hull, but then I have my preference!
I would say view all three with an open mind and decide what best suits your familys' lifestyle.

Keiffer

Member II
Decisions - Decisions

Greg - Actually none or the three are on Lake Lanier and will all involve transporting. Not opposed to going fast - but not interested in racing. We plan to spend most weekends on the boat.

If we move the boat to the coast we will most likley put it at Savannah and sail north and south along the east coast.

I am planning on doing just what you have suggested and going to look at all three.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Keiffer