• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

plow anchor for E25-E27

wolly bugger

Member II
It is the model 66840009 from lewmar. 23 1/2"L x 2 5/8"w. other than the nav. light, it is a good fit and feel much stronger than the others one I tried. I had 2 extra bolt as far forward as I could and a teak block as spacer for the back part. The whole thing feel pretty stiff.

For the bow lights, I did install a single nav. light on the bow pulpit. I don't have any picture of that part but I'll take some shot next time I'm at the boat.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi I'm chiming in a little late here, but here are some shots of the bow roller I installed on my E-27. I had not considered using a plow anchor when I installed it, I just wanted a roller to save my back!

I have often wondered if I could fit one on my bow roller but the one I installed does not protrude very far. I had to fabricate a piece of teak in between the two foremost pulpit stanchions to support the back of the bow roller that you can kind of see in the last shot. Yes I have to remove that cowl vent when I anchor, but it unscrews easily.

I made two backing plates for this set up. One in the very for peak of the bow where it is at the toe rail height and another at deck height to support the back of the roller. I think I will try to see if I can borrow a 13 or 14 lb plow to see if it could work without hitting the hull.

Attachments

• P1010001_3.jpg
    P1010001_3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010002_3.jpg
    P1010002_3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010003_3.jpg
    P1010003_3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Here's the Lewmar 66840009 on the Defender website. They list the dimensions as 2-5/8" W x 23 1/2" L x 6" H. They also state that this serves Delta style anchors in the 14-35 lb range. They want $190 for it. Did you find one for a better price?

Thanks,
Roscoe

000388_l.jpg

davisr

Member III
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Minneys and Garhauer. These are new to me. Will definitely check out Minneys again. Wish that they would supply a little more information on this particular bow roller, e.g., brand name. On the subject of brand names, it appears that Garhauer has really made a name for itself. For those like me, who'd like to know a little about this company, here's a thread I just found on the Cruisers Forum:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/garhauer-deck-hardware-opinions-4880.html

wolly bugger

Member II
I got it from west marine. That is the only local boating store we have here. They price match it for about $150 (Defender sale price if I remember well) and offer free shipping to alaska.

davisr

Member III
Question for Stephan and Jeff: how well do your boats ride at anchor with the rollers mounted at an angle? Any noticeable differences from your original methods of anchoring from the pre-roller days?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Question for Stephan and Jeff: how well do your boats ride at anchor with the rollers mounted at an angle? Any noticeable differences from your original methods of anchoring from the pre-roller days?

No noticeable differences at all. I have always used a stern anchor as well because the coves are tight at Catalina. I want to get a stern roller as well. Just a short one to take up some of the strain hauling it in.

wolly bugger

Member II
I usually anchor in nicely protected anchorage to keep the admiral happy:egrin: so I'm probably no much help. The bow roller is more center line with the boat then the cleat so that should help to keep the boat from sailing at anchor.

davisr

Member III
PDX,

Thanks for the reference to Garhauer. I decided to go with the Garhauer AR-30 instead of the Lewmar. It was just too good a deal - $113 with free shipping vs. $190.

For those who may be interested, I'll summarize the differences between the two, since Garhauer rollers are not widely available in stores and information is scanty on the internet, even on the Garhauer website.

Garhauer: one roller (instead of two like Lewmar), smaller bail, matte-finish stainless steel on interior of tray, mirror-polished ss on exterior (instead of mirror polished ss throughout on Lewmar); weighs one pound more than Lewmar. All in all, it has the look and feel of a quality product.

Roscoe

davisr

Member III
Thanks Loren.

If I may take this thread in a related direction . . . what type of deck pipe would you suggest for this type of set-up? Jeff Asbury and Stephan both have deck pipes immediately aft of the rollers. I will use a chain and nylon rode combination. I really like the Suncor deck pipe at Defender, but I'm unable to tell either on the Defender website or anywhere else I have looked whether this pipe can handle both chain and rope.

Roscoe

001726.jpg

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10391|32295|322380&id=1501885

sveinutne

Member III
I am also building a bowsprit for my Ericson 41. It is made up of small strips of teak. About ½”x 1 ½” by 3 feet. Glued together by epoxy and filler. Now I need to adjust and test install it to see how much more to glue on. At the end I will cut the center, so the two pieces can be glued together, and only have an opening for the chain plate holding the genoa.

Attachments

• ericson 197-s.JPG
    ericson 197-s.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 60
  • ericson 198-s.JPG
    ericson 198-s.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 78
  • ericson 199-s.JPG
    ericson 199-s.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 82
  • ericson 196-s.JPG
    ericson 196-s.JPG