• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

stupid question #1

iwantone

Member II
I am a newbie so please bear with... I just aquired a 1978 29 foot Ericson

In the main cabin in the center (right after you walk down the stairs) their is a small square hatch in the floor. Upon lifting this access area there is what appears to be a rusted/corroded smooth mound with paint ontop of it. ?? Any ideas? I have visions of being lead poisoned as it is around where I would expect the keel to be. The engine is an atomic 4 in great working condition and is at least 4 feet in back of this "thing". :confused:

Thanks

newpbs

Member III
No Questions Are Stupid

More information would be useful. A picture would be even better.

It sound like there will be a number of questions that you will have in the future. This site is a wonderful place to gain insight to those issues. Just remember that we really don't know who you are! LOL

Paul

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome iwantone,

It sounds like the mound might be an old piece of steel hardware (bolt?) that was used to drop the lead keel into hull. Some photos would be helpful. I doubt it is anything to worry about.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The area between the sole and the top of the keel is just bilge and there is support for the mast directly under the large wood post at the front corner of the table by the head door. There are no keel bolts to worry about, the back foot of the keel is hollow and if broke will allow water to enter the boat. What you see could be part of the hardware for lowering the led into the keel but most likely remnants something someone added and nothing to worry about.

iwantone

Member II
"The area between the sole and the top of the keel is just bilge and there is support for the mast directly under the large wood post at the front corner of the table by the head door. There are no keel bolts to worry about, the back foot of the keel is hollow and if broke will allow water to enter the boat. What you see could be part of the hardware for lowering the led into the keel but most likely remnants something someone added and nothing to worry about."

This area is not underneath the mast or near the front corner of the head. It is smack in the middle of the main cabin. The reddish substance has the consistency of concrete and is slightly moist. Ontop it looks like someone tried to fiberglass over it. This is the only area on the whole boat that has any moisture whatsoever. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post. The led is self-contained... right??? Thanks everyone for your replies. :scared:

iwantone

Member II
Mystery appears to be solved. It's car bondo which they fiberglassed over!! I think they likely attached an old bilge pump there (directly midline) and when they went to pull it out it took some of the bondo and superficial fiberglass with it. My brother/mechanic recognized it instantley.

I'm thinking about vacuuming all the bondo out and putting a layer of fiberglass on top of where it use to be. Any suggestions?? Thanks! :egrin:

Gmilburn

Member III
Here is a pic of my 1977 E29 bilge area--showing one bolt (I assumed it was a keel bolt--but dont know for sure). My concern is that it seems that water is always collecting there--so if it is a bolt--it is constantly exposed to water. One thought I had was to apply some silicon to it--when dry--and then dig it out if I ever need to get to the bolt. Perhaps your PO had a similar idea.

Attachments

• bilge.jpg
    bilge.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 72

iwantone

Member II
Hi Gilmurn,
Thanks for the reply.
Your area is slightly aft of the square access by a few feet. My bolts are intact and dry in the area you took a picture of.

My brother wants to clean it up, sand the sides a little and then epoxy the new fiberglass on-top. Everyone should have a mechanic in the family!!!! I'll take pictures of each step.