• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

San Diego Atomic 4 Mechanic?

chtaylor

Member II
Does anyone know of a reasonable Atomic 4 mechanic in the San Diego Bay area? I've gotten tired of working on this engine more than sailing the boat.

The last mechanic I contacted wants $90.00 per hour to change valve springs. Is that a reasonable rate?

Thanks,
Charles

ChrisS

Member III
As a point of comparison, a local guy here in the Bay Area charges $100 hr., but he's really good and worked fast the time I used him to rebuild my exhaust system. You might check with Moyer to see if he can give you any leads to find someone in your area.

What kind of problems are you having? My A-4 has twice had a cut out problem, which I tracked down to a bad coil the first time, and blockage in the carb the other. In trying to troubleshoot the Moyer manual was very helpful, as in each case, the symptoms were different and consistent to the advice in the manual. For example, the time I had a bad coil--the engine would die when I backed down to idle after being run at cruising speed for a while, always coming into the slip, not fun--I was able to diagnose it as an ignition problem. From what I understand, a stuck valve is a common headache too, although I haven't experienced that.

Sven

Seglare
The last mechanic I contacted wants $90.00 per hour to change valve springs. Is that a reasonable rate?

I would think that would depend on his time estimate. Does he tell you how long it will take ? I assume that service manuals tell you the time estimate for each maintenance action but you would probably have to add accessibility overhead to those numbers.

-Sven

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
What is the problem with the engine? You might not have a serious problem. I have replaced the head gasket on my engine due to failure, usually between cylinder 3 and 4 for some reason, replaced valve springs, rebuilt the carb, replaced all fuel lines and installed a water separator/filter inline. I also replaced the fuel pump with an electric pump. I now love the way she runs and though the range is half that of diesel per gallon I prefer the quiet of the A4. If you do need to replace the springs it's not that tough.
Valve spring replacement requires minimal skills and tolls. The only special tools needed are a torque wrench and the valve spring tool available from Moyer for $26.
The heavier springs Moyer sells help the sticking valve problem. You will need to lap the valves with grinding compound while they are out, be sure the valves go back in the same hole and there is really nothing to do other than remove the intake manifold, cylinder head and side cover of the engine. You need access to the top and port side of the engine.
Moyer can give you the detailed guidance and when you are through you will know a little more about the boat.
Always mix Marvel mystery oil with your gas to lube the valves to prevent valve sticking.

Wish I were close by I would help for food and beer and a test sail after we were through

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Another thing I did was install an auxiliary ignition and starter switch in the engine box which makes single handed diagnosis and maintenance a lot easier. This panel is wired to the blower switch so it only works when the blower is on.
Start spraying all the head and intake manifold bolts with a penetrating oil to make disassemble easier if the engine has to be disassembled.

bayhoss

Member III
Echo the oil

Randy is on the money with the Marvel Mystery Oil. I have no affiliation, but it does wonders in a diesel when added to the fuel. The injectors and injector pump as well as the valves will thank you.

Best,
Frank

paul culver

Member III
FYI, I pay $90 per hour at Oceanside Marine Center, and I have been extremely pleased with their speed and quality of work.

Paul
E29 "Bear"