• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Head Plumbing

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

Just wondering how many people have their wye valve pre-holding tank so as to be able to flush straight overboard if necessary. And how many flush everything into the tank first and use the wye valve for overboard or deck pumpout. The previous owner had an overboard flush on one limb of the wye valve and the other limb went to the tank. In addition, the pump out from the tank itself went to the ascending limb of the antisyphon loop. Makes for a complex plumbing job - lots of tubes! However, I do like the idea of being able to flush overboard when just having a pee. I also wonder if putting everything through the holding tank makes for a stinkier boat eventually as you are always hauling more sewage with you.... Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Steve, when I overhauled my system I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The toilet pumps directly to the tank. Coming out of the tank is a Tee the split between the deck pump out and the overboard pumpout. No "Y" valves.

It will not get stinky if you follow some rules:

Make sure the tank is vented well
Empty the tank periodically and rinse with fresh water
Flush with fresh water every time you leave the boat
Use Odorlos head treatment religiously

My head upgrade has 2 seasons on it and not a whiff of nasty odor.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The system in my boat is very similar to Tim's:
The head flushes directly to the holding tank. The deck pumpout has its own dedicated line to the tank. The overboard pump, a manual Whale, has its own dedicated line. The system was installed/rehabed by the PO and it has worked perfectly with the exception of a clogged vent line that was easily fixed. Using the head regularly, using Odorlos regularly, pumping frequently, etc. all contribute to a "good" smelling system. I do not leave the holding tank anywhere near full if at all possible. I also use the overboard pumpout option when it is legal. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Rob, Ronco can customize the ports on the holding tank. I elected to only have one at the bottom of the tank to reduce an additional stinky point of failure.

Sounds like your PO did yours and went with the original design. The OEM tank in my boat had the 2 ports at the bottom.

BTW, it is also much easier to plumb the tank with the one bottom port as it is very tight in the compartment with that additional hose.