• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

my "new" E- 29 1978

Art

Member I
Welcome

Welcome aboard. I own a 1978 E-29 in Vermont. Let me know if I can be of any help.

ozzie12

Member I
We're newbies as well.

Last august I bought a 29 foot ericson sailboat on ebay. I didn't know how to sail, and my wife thought that while it was kind of romantic, it was also impulsive and crazy. Since then, we have cleaned the grease and sludge off the bottom foot of the cabin walls and floor, removed the engine from the boat (the previous owner had let it sit with two feet of water in the cabin which has ruined the engine), started to sort out the electrical maze, repaired a gash in the fiberglass deck and hull about the size of a large pizza slice on the port side, painted the hull above the water line, and we are in the process of painting the cabin and deck. The jib is badly torn from the same accident that caused the bow of another boat to create the pizza slice shaped hole in the port side.
We do this on weekends, as we live in Scottsdale, AZ and the boat is in San Diego on Harbor Island. Over the new year's holiday, we took a beginning sailing course, but haven't yet taken the boat out of the marina. And these monthly slip fees are killing me!!!
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!

ozzie12

Member I
neighbors

Is your boat in a marina? If so, which one? We're in Marina Cortez on Harbor Island.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:" o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
As for the sailing classes, we took ASA101 from Seaforth Sailing on Coronado Island. Even though I didn't learn anything new . . . anything that I hadn't learned from talking with others and reading and researching, the opportunity to practice under the watchful eyes of a professional was reassuring to my wife. So, since it reassured her, I would have to say that it was worth it. And it was fun to actually get out on the water while in control of a sailboat.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Next Saturday, we're going to Barstow to pick up an engine for the boat. We'll go to San Diego just long enough to drop off the motor, and then the first weekend in March, we will return for four or five days to actually install it. Wish me luck.<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:

ozzie12

Member I
new motor (well, a rebuilt one, anyway)

Just after loading the new engine into the truck in Barstow, we got hit with a double whammy. A second storm moved into Barstow and it began to rain. We drove in rain all the way to San Diego. The second whammy was learning about the earthquake in Chile and we listened on the radio as they were watching for a tsunami in Hilo Hawaii (We're scheduled to go there in July, so we were interested in the results) Also, we heard that the entire California coast and especially (is there such a word as especially?) Southern California and San Diego was under a tsunami watch. Yikes!!! And like fools, we're driving INTO the danger, not away from.
Anyway, all is well that ends well. Got the motor from the truck, and into the boat. It is not hooked up, just set in place in the engine compartment. As we were lowering it into place, it started to rain and the wind was blowing, the boat was rocking back and forth, and the danmed rope got jammed in the pulley on the block and tackle.
To make a long story short, twenty one hours after leaving home, we drove back into the driveway. Success! But what a day!

Last edited: