• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PL 400 on a boat?

gabosifat

Member III
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but what do people think about using PL400 instead of say 5200 on a boat? I need to glue down some support boards onto the fiberglass on the inside of the hull for supporting my new holding tank. I've used it in building before and it seems pretty indestructable - you can even use it for gluing wet plywood onto joists when putting down a floor.

Thanks,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Never heard of it but why not use epoxy thickened with colliodal silica? Grind fiberglass to bare first for good adhesion. IMHO 5200 has very limited applications. It is certainly a good adhesive but not as good as epoxy. Its only advantage to epoxy is its flexibility.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Steve,

I've used PL polyurethane construction adhesive for boat projects. What are the support boards going to support? A full holding tank is a fair amount of weight.

The first time I used construction adhesive for a boat project was on Coaster (E23). I wanted to glue 5/16" redwood boards to the inside, I know I'm insane. To test how well the construction adhesive would hold I glued a 6" test piece of redwood to the fg liner. The next day I tried to pull the wood off and ended up having to chisel it off. I'll add some photos of that project to the Coaster photo folder in "Community".

The last time I used it I glued some 1x2 to the hull to mount a heavy battery charger.