• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Plumbing - composting head

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In Use Report

For all you composters...
:)
Here is some more info from a friend that is using one of these in his 36 foot boat (albeit not an Ericson). Posted here with his permission. He read over this thread and sends along these thoughts:

"I have had my 'Air Head' composting toilet for 3 years. It does not require an external heating source as long as the ambient temperature remains at 64 degrees or higher. The heat from fresh fecal matter along with the composting action helps to maintain temperatures above 64 degrees. I can go an entire boating season without emptying the fecal matter reservoir.
The liquids container, however, needs to be emptied approximately ever other day. I carry an extra liquids container. Since our primary cruising ground is the Columbia River, we anchor out or find a marina to tie up at night.

When staying at a marina, I make it a point to empty the liquids container in the marina restroom. At the end of boating season (November) I detach the unit and bring it home to disperse composted material on the garden. I must say that of all the things I have purchased for my Cascade 36 sailboat, the 'Air Head' composting toilet has been the most rewarding.

My only disappointment has been that once the season is over there is actually very little composted matter to spread over the garden, as it cooks down to almost nothing. As long as one follows the installation and operating instructions, there should be no problem with the unit.
Happy sailing,
Chuck"

Glyn Judson

Composting head

All, I'd like to think I've developed a healthy awareness about the world around me and that am trying to live life differently. I bring canvas bags to the store, I separate my trash (have to, the City of Santa Monica requires it), drive a true Hybrid (no accelerator or brake problems, it's a 2008), compost our vegetable food scraps, have a worm compost bin, keep a home garden and all the other stuff that goes along with this life style but I have to say that the whole time I've been reading this post, the one recurring thought is: Last thing in the world I would ever want to do is compost human waste on my boat and then spread it on my garden. And I certainly don't relish the idea of walking a bucket of pee up the ramp to dispose of in a toilet on shore. Now I just read that a season provides very little composting material for the garden, even more reason for this boy to stay waay clear of such a devise. Sorry, don't mean to be melodramatic but that's something that I'd never consider on my boat or in my life especially given the purchase price of the toilet and the added need to feed it from time to time. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone on this one? Very sincerely, Glyn

Emerald

All, I'd like to think I've developed a healthy awareness about the world around me and that am trying to live life differently. I bring canvas bags to the store, I separate my trash (have to, the City of Santa Monica requires it), drive a true Hybrid (no accelerator or brake problems, it's a 2008), compost our vegetable food scraps, have a worm compost bin, keep a home garden and all the other stuff that goes along with this life style but I have to say that the whole time I've been reading this post, the one recurring thought is: Last thing in the world I would ever want to do is compost human waste on my boat and then spread it on my garden. And I certainly don't relish the idea of walking a bucket of pee up the ramp to dispose of in a toilet on shore. Now I just read that a season provides very little composting material for the garden, even more reason for this boy to stay waay clear of such a devise. Sorry, don't mean to be melodramatic but that's something that I'd never consider on my boat or in my life especially given the purchase price of the toilet and the added need to feed it from time to time. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone on this one? Very sincerely, Glyn

Glyn,

I'm with you 100% on this one. I completely appreciate the thought behind the composting toilette and completely acknowledge it may work just fine for some people, but it's the last thing I'd want on my boat, and if I was buying a boat, it would put it down on my short list if there was a comparable boat with a normal head. I just can't help but think of what must now be 100's of posts I've read over the years of people having all sorts of problems with a basic marine head, and can't imagine what 5-10 years out is going to be like when one of these units is not maintained or used properly.

Again, just my crusty opinion, and no slight meant to anyone who wants to go this direction, but I'd rather put my precious boat bucks in to sails, a feathering prop etc, not what comes out the back end.... :egrin:

iwantone

Member II
I think I agree with the above post. I just bought a e-29 1978 last week. It needs a new head. I was thinking about the composting head, but after reading this forum.... I would rather have somebody come by and suck all the stuff out. I hate having to deal with crap and piss and the less stored on the boat the better. I applaud the people for going with the "compost", but it isn't for me. :egrin:

Glyn Judson

A new head for your boat.

Dear friend, When preparing to get a replacement head for your new-to-you E29, consider getting a used high end manual head. There really are only the Wilcox Crittenden Skipper or a Groco K-H in that quality range and rebuilding them is a simple task. I was at Minney's (just up the road from you a bit) a month or so ago and saw two used Skippers and one K-H there for $65.00 apiece. At worst a rebuild kit is all any of them would need, and they cost on the order of $150.00 to $165.00. These are $950.00 to $1,000.00 heads new and will outlast you and your boat with a little tune up. David on this list just recently completed the rebuild of a Skipper and he can tell you first hand how it went and how pleased he is in buying a quality used one and bringing it back to like-new life. Good luck and let the list know your final choice, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

iwantone

Member II
GLYN..... Many thanks!!!! I'm going to be cleaning the whole boat out this weekend (first time really getting my hands on it). I'll keep you up to date.

Emerald

Well, Glyn has called me out on my bias to a conventional marine head. I did upgrade to a used Skipper ($100), and while the timing of purchase/rebuild this fall was such I decided not to install it yet (why install it to have to immediately winterize it?), I can say that just from having gone through the rebuild on it, wow! If you like massive bronze castings and something that is just built bullet proof, this is to be looked at closely. Somewhere I've come across comments on it's operation like, "it would flush a raincoat". I think I believe it. And just as Glyn has had some good support from Groco on the KH series, I have found that Jacko from the Wilcox Crittenden days is at Theford and has been very helpful in pointers on its rebuild and operation. A pointer he made that probably applies to any conventional head is to give it enough of a pump to wet down the porcelain prior to use, and then it'll all slide down easily and require less water to flush clean when done. I'm just finishing up a section on the rebuild for my projects page. With all this snow, it'll probably be up this weekend :egrin:

Lucky Dog

Member III
Wow, sure is a separate views. Never actually having to deal with a plumbed marine head and starting over with a remodel I can see the advantages to both. Simplicity, space and one less hole in the boat seems to be worth the expense. The storage of liquids seems to be major draw back.

The boat is still under a foot of snow...going to check it later today and smile at her lines.

I still have decided with the purchase of either view.
ml