• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Corroded YS Pedestal

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
My first post in a while- Loren prodded me out of hibernation! Just wanted to share my great Craigslist triumph! A brand new in the box, perfect condition, 19 year old YS pedestal! Base to compass with all bearings shaft etc! Perfect match for the old mess on my 1984 30+

did I do OK?

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Did I do OK?

Graham, You got taken for a ride my friend. Tell you what, I'll give you $145 to take it off your hands so you won't feel so bad. How's that for a deal from a compassionate friend and fellow sailor? Good score Graham, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Emerald

Aluminum castings stored in boxes for long periods of time can suffer from an electrolytic action from the glues in the cardboard. Sounds crazy, I know, but you better send the pedestal down to me where we can check it out for you. Don't worry, if it is suffering from this common problem, I'll send you my pedestal from Emerald as a replacement.

Glyn Judson

He forgot his address.

Graham, Send it immediately to David at 850 Princeton St, Santa Monica, CA 90403-2218 to the Attention of Glyn Judson. I'll alert him to its arrival the minute it shows up. Glyn ; - )

Sven

Seglare
I'll make sure it gets to David with expedited shipping if you just send me $50 to show that you are dealing in good faith.

-Sven

Emerald

You guys need to go sailing or something. sounds like winter is getting to all of us...

I won't deny it for one bit. Rounded up crew several weeks ago and had to cancel them at the last minute because I was frozen in, and I'm on the Severn which usually doesn't do that! I'm now hearing another 3-7 inches of snow tonight. Rooting for the 7 to make it worthwhile. :egrin:

Glyn Judson

Why we can't go sailing.

All, David is using snow as his excuse. I can't go out because the exterior varnish has to dry (literally). Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
He he he! I was going to post up a pic - It even has the YS sticker on it! - but I don't want to rub it in too much...I couldn't believe it when I saw it... The guy bought it new 19 yrs ago for a never completed boat project. Awesome find as I have marine tex'd my pedestal base twice now...

Rhynie

Member III
Come on South (bring the pedestal), our first race of the Spring series is on Saturday; then we will watch the Saints win on Sunday!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
if the top of your old one is in good condition, i would be interested as my compass just sits on the top of mine. It makes it easy to do course corrections, you are a couple degrees off course turn the wheel or twist the compass! Just think you may be able to get back some of that money you wasted on that pedestal, let me know if you are interested, Edd

Last edited:

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
YS Pedestal

Well, I decided to repair my original pedestal as the new one I bought has a slightly smaller base diameter and slightly closer bolt hole centres. So near I didn't notice. I now have up for offers a perfect shape new old stock YS pedestal bottom to just above the steering shaft where the yoke for the guard attaches. It may have a scratch or two.

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
Well, I decided to repair my original pedestal as the new one I bought has a slightly smaller base diameter and slightly closer bolt hole centres. So near I didn't notice. I now have up for offers a perfect shape new old stock YS pedestal bottom to just above the steering shaft where the yoke for the guard attaches. It may have a scratch or two. I paid CDN $140. This is what I need- shipping is responsibility of buyer..

If no one else bites I'll take it. You can email me at: mainecrusing@yahoo.com

I have the original version with the 6" bolt centers and would love a spare. Ours has over 50k nm.. Any chance it has the shifter housing? Either way I'll still take it..

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
New YS Pedestal for sale!

Yes I have decided to sell my new old stock (never installed) YS pedestal. Sold the boat and don't have any need for it. The base is 10" in diameter and the height to the base of where the pedestal guard yoke bolts on is 30"

There is one minor scratch on the base- This has the steering shaft with bearings, shaft woodruff key and new YS chromed nut. The bronze chain sprocket is new, just like the whole thing! There is nothing other than the pedestal itself and the steering shaft. No shifters/ yoke/ pedestal guard/ compass/ compass plate etc.

I want $140 USD and you ship from Point Roberts WA. 98281 or pick up in lower mainland British Columbia.

This is the unicorn, folks....

I can email pics to sincerely interested parties.. Please make sure my dimensions match yours because YS made a few different sizes...

link to craigslist for photos
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/4525994587.html
Graham Cole

Last edited: