• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinghy lifting bridle, why didn't I do this earlier ?

Sven

Seglare
I finally made a three-line bridle to lift the dinghy on board (and into the water). Why did I wait so long ? It made getting the dinghy back on board a 30-second "crank the spinnaker winch" exercise.

I simply spliced three carbine hooks onto three 8' one quarter inch lines and then attached the three lines to a SS ring. One hook in the bow, one aft to port and one aft to starboard.

Part of the exercise was to learn how to splice double braid. Whatever you do, don't buy a Selma Splicing Fids Set as it is worthless. Instead of being made out of SS tubing, they are made out of SS sheet metal that is rolled into a tube. The split where the sheet metal meets will snag fine fibers as you try to bury the cover giving you a holy mess that I had to cut open twice to retrieve the fid. I suspect the original was made out of tubing and worked very well but the sheet metal version is hopeless.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Cool, how about photo for us winter bound. What are using for dinghy?

Nancy did actually take some pictures but there really isn't much to see. Just the three lines joined at the SS ring, each with a 2.5" carbiner at the other end. I made each line about 7' to get away from tippiness when hoisting.

Our dinghy is the second smallest WM with a slat floor, I'm the inboard.

Funny aside; the carbiners' packaging tags are marked as having a 60 lb working strength but the embossing in the metal states 180 kg (~360 lb). A case of excess liability paranoia or a conversion SNAFU ?

-Sven