• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fixed window replacement

IslandTime

I am in the process of replacing the "glass" in the fixed windows on my Ericson 38. I have the windows out of the boat. Now I want to take the split frames apart. This is where I am running into difficulties. I am having trouble getting the frames apart. Any advice on what has worked for others would be appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gonna take some searchin'...
:nerd:
I recall that there is a past thread here on solving that exact problem.
Try words like Lewmar, lens, frame, and etc...

LB

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If they are like the fixed windows on the 29 there is a tab that fits in a grove in the frame that bridges the split on each end of the frame. there is a screw that holds the frame half to the tab. Remiove the screws and the frame halves will come apart.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If they look like this there should be little straps with small screws or rivets holding the two halves together. You should be able to undo those fasteners and pull the unit apart.

Attachments

• tab1.jpg
    tab1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 94

IslandTime

Thanks for the suggestions but there are no screws in the frames from my boat. The plastic straps that you refer to are held in place by indentations stamped in the frame during the manufacturing process. These indentations are consistent with the description of the windows that have appeared in other threads on this topic. Like the others, I have drilled these indentations out and the frame still does not come apart. I have been able to pry one end apart about 1/2 inch but am reluctatnt to force it furthur for fear of bending or gouging the frame. It would be informative to me to learn whether or not others have not experienced this issue and that they simply pulled their apart. Then I would know that I am looking for something unusual and out of the norm. On the other hand, if others have had a difficult time separating the halves of the frame, then it would be helpful to know how they addressed the issue.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Hey, Mark, what is that thing that looks like a giant pelican hook attached to the turnbuckle in your picture?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
FWIW I gave mine to Maritime Plastics in Annapolis. They replaced the lenses and rebed them in the frames with GE Silproof as the oem gaskets were shot.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mark,

They are pelican hooks. I used to have my rig tabernacled to get under a bridge in Santa Cruz. I took photos before I removed the tabernacle rigging so I could put it back together if needed. I have all the parts on the boat, if I need to drop the mast for any reason it will take about an hour.