• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Moving from fresh to salt water ... maybe

delwarne

Member II
Well, we are contimplating a sailing lifestyle change, out of the Great Lakes to the Chesapeake.
Our boat (35/3 1987 ) has always been in fresh water so I need to set her up for a salty life. Any help on her mechanics / electricals /etc.?
Thx in advance.
Myra and Del

s/v Obbligatto
35/3

treilley

Sustaining Partner
There should be no difference from factory spec. to move to salt water. Proper bottom paint and anodes should be all you have to worry about. The keel depth could be an issue depending on where on the bay you end up.

Emerald

Yep, you'll want to use a zinc anode on the prop shaft in the Chesapeake. Do you have a heat exchanger with an anode also? Some seawater cooled engines will also have an anode (many Yanmars do). We're not ocean salty either. Any idea where on the Chesapeake you'd be? Obviously closer to the mouth is saltier. Up around Annapolis, brackish is probably a better description.

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Salt Water

I'm about mid to southern on the Chesapeake (Deltaville) prop shaft zinc and heat exchanger are a must. The smaller pencil anode in the heat exchanger should be replace at least once if not twice a year. The one on the prop shaft does well with once a year. (So far)!!!
Best,
Frank

Emerald

Do you have any idea which river you'll be on or near - Severn, South, Rhode? I'm not the best on marina advice because I keep Emerald at a community pier and the folks I haul out with have just moved to a different shop and are still settling in. You might get a better response posting in the Mid-Atlantic section to see what some of our normal slip holders are doing.

Shadowfax

Member III
Depending on how far you want to travel from home to boat will have a lot to do with where in the greater Annapolis area you keep your boat and what it will cost. In Annapolis proper will most likely be the most expensive. Tempering this will be the amenities you will require. Are you looking for a country club like atmosphere with swimming pool, restaurant, bar, etc., or an old style family owned working yard? The difference could be 1 to 2 thousand dollars a year. Interested in the eastern shore; even less expensive. Do you want to be on the bay in 10 minutes, or could you motor for half an hour down some creek or river to get to the bay and save on slip fees. There are probably 100 marinas within 25 miles of Annapolis.

What's your pleasure?

stuartm80127

Member II
Moving boat from fresh to salt water.

Hi, I am doing the same thing. As others have said, add Zinc anode to your prop shaft.

I am adding one to my strut as well because on my boat, the strut can't be electrically connected to anything from the inside.

On my boat I have bonded all of my new Groco Seacocks/thru-hulls with #8 wire using adheisive-lined heat shrink to protect the terminal lug/wire connection. I bonded the engine, fuel tank and stern pulpit and solar panel rail. Also bonded to the lead keel available in my bilge which doesn't touch water but I am told provides a better ground for a SSB receiver.

I was also going to try a trick that I did on a boat many years ago. Buy a 1 lb zinc slab with a #10 wire coming off of it at West Marine. Then attach it to a 4 foot #10 wire from my bonded pulpit and let it hang over the stern. When I did this on that old boat, virtually all corrosion inside ceased. The Zinc plate lasted about a year and quickly connecting another one is real fast. Take the zinc out of the water when sailing and keep in a 1 qt bucket.

Good luck and enjoy your new home.