• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Glare guard for GPS

Emerald

Just got off the phone with Garmin and confirmed that the original anti-glare coating on my screen is history and the cost of sending it back to get the screen recoated is prohibitive. So, does anyone have any experience with these anti-glare plastic type films? A particular brand or type to look for that's better than another? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Picture of what I've got going on - top right corner is where I attempted a cleaning to see what would happen. The mottled bluish/purple stuff is the remains of the coating, and the round thing a little bottom right of center in the picture is the reflection of a recessed light in the ceiling, so don't pay any attention to analyzing what that is (the folks at Garmin at first thought that was a burn in the screen).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Attachments

• GPS-cleaned-corner-s.jpg
    GPS-cleaned-corner-s.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Emerald

That's exactly what I want to do - I'll finish cleaning off the old coating and apply one of these films, but I've never used one before, and figure it's like everything else - there probably are good ones and bad ones, and hoping someone else can pass on their real life experiences.

Thanks

WBurgner

Member III
Can you retire that unit to the nav station and go new at the helm? $$

Otherwise, you might be able to find a film at a computer store. The glossy screen PCs bother some people so films are available. The one I used on the iPhone works pretty well. I am not sure how they will weather though since they are expected to be used indoors for the most part. Do you bring the system in when not in use?

Sven

Seglare
David,

Other than a very slightly mottled appearance when powered off, the anti-glare worked well for us in the cockpit. Maybe because the display is so bright ?

Let me know if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction and we'll reverse the transaction :esad:

-Sven

Emerald

Hi Bill,

I do bring the unit in when not in use, so weathering is not an issue. I should have mentioned that.

If no one in our group has hands-on experience with these things, I'm tempted to pop for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd-Garmin-TrueVue-Crystal-Protector/dp/B002J44P38

Sven - not to worry - I am happy with the unit and it's condition. When searching around last night on screen guards, I ran across several separate comments on this coating not lasting. I have a feeling its unavoidable if they are left out in the weather, hence my mounting it so I can bring it below when not in use. Just of note, Garmin wanted $350 for a complete exchange unit refurbished to get the coating redone, hence time for the glare guard approach.

Emerald

Hi Sven,

I haven't sprung for the glare guard yet, but will probably get the item in the link I posted above. I've been looking around at my standard marine suppliers (like Defender and Hamilton), and so far haven't found one. I've been iced in up until this past weekend, so I haven't missed anything yet. :egrin: